May 21, 2013
• Oklahoma Twister Upgraded to 200 MPH EF-5 — See Photos (Chicago Tribune, 5/21/13).
May 20, 2013
• Massive, EF-4 Tornado Hits Oklahoma City — See Video & Live Coverage (Detroit Free Press, 5/20/13).
• Water Disappearing, Forcing Changes in Farming in Plains — See Images & Graphics (The New York Times, 5/20/13).
May 18, 2013
• Gunky, Extinction-Sized Asteroid Will Give Earth Close Pass on May 31 (The Seattle Times, 5/18/13). Learn more here and here.
• First Saudi Woman to Attempt Everest Becomes Youngest Arab to Reach Summit (BBC News, 5/18/13). Read more here.
May 17, 2013
• Meteor Hits Moon, Explosion Visible from Earth, Biggest Ever Recorded (National Geographic, 5/17/13).
• Here Come the Crazy Ants, There Go the Fire Ants — and Your Electronics (Design&Trend.com, 5/17/13). Learn more here. Read the study abstract here.
• Second Active Alaskan Volcano Really Acting Up (USA Today, 5/17/13).
• Louisiana Bayou Sinking as Seas Rise, Agency Hopes to Stem, Reverse Land Loss (National Geographic, 5/17/13)
May 16, 2013
• Snowlines in Everest Region Melting, Receding (National Geographic, 5/16/13).
May 15, 2013
• Sun Lets Loose with 4 X-Class Flares in 48 Hours (BBC News, 5/15/13)
• NASA Looking at How to Grow Food on Mars in Advance of Planned Human Visit (ScienceWorldReport.com, 5/15/13). Meanwhile…
• Road Crew in Belize Destroys Ancient Maya Pyramid for Road Gravel (National Geographic, 5/15/13).
May 14, 2013
• Blind Nature Lovers Learn to ID Birds by their Calls (CBS News, 5/14/13). Test your auditory ID skills here.
• Rainbow Optics: Double, Yes, Identical, No — Can You Spot the Difference? See Images (Wunderground.com, 5/14/13).
May 13, 2013
• Ted Turner Gets to Keep Wild Bison Calves Over Objections of Wildlife Orgs (AP, ABC News, 5/13/13).
May 11, 2013
• Homes Sinking in Dormant-Volcanic Hilltop Community in California (USA Today 5/11/13).
May 10, 2013
• CO2 Levels Pass 400 PPM, Highest in Human History, Scientists Predict Climate Disaster (The New York Times, 5/10/13).
May 9, 2013
• American Heart Association: Owning a Pet, Especially a Dog, Can Lower Risk of Heart Disease (MyHealthNewsDaily.com, 5/9/13). Read AHA statement here.
• Granite on Seafloor Off Brazil May, or May Not, Come from Lost Continent (National Geographic, 5/9/13).
May 7, 2013
• Five Climbers Killed, Others Injured, in Sudden Eruption of Near-Perfect-Cone Mayon Volcano in Philippines (Sky News, 5/7/13). See video here.
• Certain Words Like “Thou,” Common to All Language Families, Go Back to Ice Age (Wired, 5/7/13). Read more here. See the list of 23 “ultraconserved words” and hear them pronounced in different languages here.
May 5, 2013
• Here Come the Cicadas! Brood II to Hatch by the Billions for First Time in 17 Years – See Slideshow (NBC News Cosmic Log, 5/5/13). Read more here.
May 2, 2013
• NASA Time-Lapse Video Shows 60 Years of Global Warming in 13 Seconds (ClimateCentral.org, 5/2/13).
• New Zealand Fishermen Fight Big Mako for Swordfish Catch (New Zealand 3 News, 5/5/23)
May 1, 2013
• Antarctic Ice Shrinking and Growing Due to Climate Change (PBS NewsHour, 5/1/13).
• Sand Tiger Shark Embryos Battle It Out, Eat Each Other in Womb (The Washington Post, 5/1/13). Read the study here.
April 29, 2013
• Cassini Spacecraft Relays Images of Giant Hurricane at Saturn’s North Pole – See Photos & Video (NASA, 4/29/13). Read more and see a news report here.
• Nature Lover Videos Rare Ice-Needle Cascade on Medicine Lake, MN (DEMIgirlie, 4/29/13). See another, longer video here.
April 26, 2013
• Scientists Find Fly with Big Genital Forceps in Brazil, Invisibly Tiny Fly in Costa Rica – See Photos (Scientific American, 4/26/13). Read the studies and see more images here (Forcepsfly) and here (Fairyfly).
• Rare Blue Diamond Sells for Record Price, Rare Pink Diamond Unearthed (GeoBeatsNews, 4/26/13). Read more here. See images of blue diamond and other rare gems here.
• San Diego Weighs Ban on Retail Sale of Dogs, Cats, Rabbits (RanchoBernardo-4SRanchPatch.com).
April 25, 2013
• Ocean Temps Off Northeast Coast Highest in 150 Years (Northeast Fisheries Science Center, 4/25/13). Read more here.
April 24, 2013
• Lily Tomlin HBO Doc Wants Use of Elephants in Zoos, Circuses to End (AP, 4/24/13). Learn more here.
April 23, 2013
April 22, 2013
• Earth Day Gift from WCS: Camera Trap Video of Wild Elephants in Cambodia (Wildlife Conservation Society, 4/22/13). Learn more and see more photos and video here.
April 19, 2013
• Study: At Least One Dinosaur Sat on Eggs — Like Birds Do (LiveScience.com, 4/19/13).
April 18, 2013
• Seismograph Records Reveal: Hurricane Sandy Shook the Earth (U of Utah News, 4/18/13). See animation of Sandy’s earthshaking effects here.
April 17, 2013
• Genome of Fleshy-Finned, Living-Fossil Fish May Reveal How Fish Came to Land, Developed Limbs (The New York Times, 4/17/13).
• Photographer Captures Stunning Beauty of Portuguese Man o’ War — See Images (Wired.com, 4/17/13). Learn more about the photographer and his subjects and see more images here.
April 15, 2013
• New Law in Puerto Rico Keeps Developers Away from Leatherback Nesting Area (RedOrbit.com, 4/15/13). Read more and view slideshow here.
April 14, 2013
• Maine Lobster Industry Worried Warm Ocean Temps Will Cause Another Early Glut, Falling Prices (Portland Press Herald, 4/14/13). Read more here.
April 12, 2013
• Ice-Free Summers Coming to the Arctic . . . Soon (NOAA, 4/12/13)
• Cherry Blossoms Mean More than Just Beauty in Japan — See Photos & Videos (PBS Newshour, 4/12/13).
April 10, 2013
• Sea Lion Pups Starving, Dying in California, Scientists Don’t Know Why (The Christian Science Monitor, 4/10/13). See slideshow of other marine-mammal rescues here.
• Chinese Fishing Vessel Goes Aground on Protected Reef in Philippines (Voice of America, 4/10/13).
• Study: Watching Great Whites Munch on Dead Whales Offers Glimpse of Great White Social Structure, Feeding Behavior (Science Daily, 4/10/13). Read the study, see more images here.
• Dinosaur Eggshell, Embryo Remains Found in China Among Oldest Ever Discovered, Date Back 190 Million Years (Discovery News, 4/10/13).
April 6, 2013
• Red Tide Killing Florida’s Endangered Manatees (NYTimes, 4/6/13).
April 4, 2013
• Pegasus Pipeline Rupture Raises Concerns: Keystone Rupture Would Be How Much Worse? (National Geographic, 4/4/13).
• Very Lucky Lost Hikers Found Separately in Southern California (CBS News, 4/4/13).
April 2, 2013
• NASA Scientist Resigns to Sue Fed, States for Not Acting to Slow Global Warming (Fox News, 4/2/13). Read more here.
• Study: Air Pollution in China Contributed to 1.2 Million Deaths Since 2010 (KpopStarz.com, 4/1/13).
• Very Large Tarantula, Possibly New Species, Discovered in Sri Lanka (Wired, 4/2/13).
April 1, 2013
• Pattycake, First Gorilla Born in NYC, Dies at Bronx Zoo at Age 40 – See Baby Photo (NY Daily News, 4/1/13).
March 31, 2013
• Exxon Pipeline Bursts, Sends Crude Gushing through Arkansas Streets – See Photos (Washington Post, 3/31/13).
• Global Warming Means Greener Arctic Means More Global Warming (Smithsonian, 3/31/13). Read more here.
March 29, 2013
• Study Says Fracking Caused Worst Earthquake Ever to Hit Oklahoma (NatGeo, 3/29/13).
• Scientist Solves Mystery of Fairy Circles in SW Africa: It’s Termites! (Los Angeles Times, 3/29/13). See more Fair Circles here. Read more here.
• Cyro, the Robojelly, Can Patrol Oceans Under Own Power (Nature World News, 3/29/13). See video report here.
March 28, 2013
• Giant Storm Spans Atlantic, West to East, South to North – See More Images (Washington Post, 3/28/13).
• Beekeepers Blame New Pesticide for Worst Bee Die-Off Yet - See More Images & Video (NYTimes, 3/28/13).
• Green Meteorite Found in Morocco May Be First Ever from Mercury (Space.com, 3/28/13).
March 27, 2013
• Study Shows Humans Shift into Calm, Attentive Mental States in Nature (NYTimes, 3/27/13).
• Researchers Find Evidence Neaderthals, Homo Sapiens Interbred (Discovery News, 3/27/13).
• Sea Slug Survival Strategy: Block Sight and Smell! (Discovery News, 3/27/13).
• Extinction of Giant, Dinosaur-Eating Crocs Allowed Dinosaurs to Thrive (Discovery News, 3/26/13).
March 26, 2013
• Two-Headed Fetus Taken from Female Bull Shark in Gulf of Mexico (Nat Geo, 3/26/13).
• Hunters Shoot Mother Polar Bear, Cub to Move from Alaska to NY (Discovery News, 3/26/13).
• Hiking with Owner, Alert Dog Finds Man Trapped in Rocks for Days (New York Daily News, 3/26/13).
• Hundreds to Thousands of Bird Species Wiped Out by Humans in Pacific (Science World Report, 3/26/13).
March 25, 2013
• Where’s Edge of Solar System & Has Voyager Reached It? Scientists Debate (Discovery News 3/25/13).
March 23, 2013
• New Studies Show Many Animals Smarter Than Humans Think (The Wall Street Journal, 3/22/13).
• Baby Rothschild Giraffe, Endangered Species, Born in CT, Stands for First Time (LEO Zoological Conservation Center, 3/23/13). Read more here. See more photos and read more here.
March 22, 2013
• Experts Say Rock that Hit Earth, Killed Dinosaurs, Was Comet, Not Asteroid (CNET, 3/22/13). Read more here.
• Study: Huge Volcanic Eruptions Wiped Out Species, Paved Way for Dinosaurs (CBC News, 3/22/13).
March 21, 2013
• Demand from Rich Chinese Supports American Mink Farming (AP, 3/21/13).
March 19, 2013
• New Pope Francis Urges Humans to Protect Nature (AP, 3/19/13).
• Chimps Figure Out Who Needs What Tool, Share as Needed to Get Job Done (Live Science, 3/19/13). Read more here.
• New York Times Doing Less Environmental Reporting (Columbia Journalism Review, 3/19/13).
March 16, 2013
• Conservation Can Work: NRDC Finds Protected Fish Stocks Rebounding (NYTimes, 3/15/13). Read the full NRDC report here.
March 15, 3013
• New Study Counts Billions of Habitable-Zone Planets Near Earth (University Today, 3/15/13).
March 14, 2013
March 12, 2013
• Australia Acts to Prevent Invasion of Giant African Snail Already in Florida (Christian Science Monitor, 3/12/13). Read more here.
March 11, 2013
• Thousands of Dead Pigs Float Down River in China — See Video (BBC, 3/11/13). Read more here, here, here, and here.
March 10, 2013
• Comet This Week! Look West after Sunset to See Comet Pan-STARRS — See Photos, Graphics & Video (Space.com, 3/10/13). See more photos here.
March 7, 2013
• Summer Rains Could Cause Giant Mosquito Problem in S. Florida (Orlando Sentinel, 3/5/13). Read more here.
• Thousands of Sharks Swarm off Palm Beach in Annual Spring Migration — See Video (NewsAroundU, YouTube, 3/7/13). See more video here, here and here.
March 5, 2013
• Scientists Find Fossil Evidence that Giant Camel Once Roamed Arctic (Discovery News, 3/5/13). Read the journal article and view map and fossils here.
March 3, 2013
• Prime Minister of Thailand Promises to End Legal Ivory Trade (BBC News, 3/3/13)
Feb 27, 2013
• Nature’s Beautiful Surprises: Snow Rollers & Punch-Hole Clouds — See Photos (wunderground.com, 2/27/13).
Feb 25, 2013
• Tumbleweeds Smother Home in Midland, Texas — See Video Report (NewsWest9, 2/25/13).
Feb 21, 2013
• Giant Goldfish Becoming Big Problem in Lake Tahoe — See Photos & Video (RGJ.com, 2/21/13). See more video here.
• Winter Storm Nemo Dumps Snow, Knocks Out Power in N.E. — See Photos (Time, 2/8/13). See more photos here and here.
Feb 8, 2013
• And Here Comes Asteroid 2012 DA14 on Feb 15! See Video (CNN, 2/7/13).
Feb 7, 2013
• Again? N.E. Could Get Hit by “Historic Nor’easter”/Winter Hurricane (wunderground.com, 2/7/13). Read more here.
• Northern Lights Put on Show Over Alaska’s Denali National Park (Our Amazing Planet, 2/4/13). Watch a 5-minute, time-lapse movie with music of 2012 images here, or watch it on full screen (slower loading but more impressive) here.
• Starlings Return to Israel, Put on Aerial Show Called Murmuration (NTDTV, 1/28/13). See photo here.
Feb 6, 2013
• 8.0 Quake Hits Solomons, Triggers Tsunamis, Aftershocks, Six Die — See Video (The Australian, 2/6/13). Read more, see photos and video and listen to audio reports here.
• Northeast May/May Not Get Hit by “Potential Historic Winter Storm” (The Washington Post, 2/6/13). Read more here and here.
• Komodo Dragon Enters National Park Office, Attacks Two People (CBS News, 2/6/13).
• Roaches Like to Keep Their Antennae Clean — See Video! (Science Now, 2/4/13).
• Wild Albatross Hatches Chick at Age 62 — See Photo (The Washington Post, 2/5/13).
• U. of Delaware Program Studies Impact of Invasive Lionfish in Caymans (University of Delaware).
Jan 26, 2013
• Thousands of Crocs, Bred for Fashion, Escape during South African Floods — See Video (Euronews.com, 1/25/13). Watch a follow-up report here. See recapture video here.
• Brits Stage Poison Attack on Rats Overrunning Antarctic Island — See Video (The Wall Street Journal, 1/23/13).
• Poop-Ball-Rolling Dung Beetles Use Stars to Navigate, a First for Bugs (National Geographic, 1/24/12).
• Coyotes Chase Man & Dogs into House, Keep Coming, Crash Door — See News Report (NBC News, 1/26/13).
• Differences in Genes Linked to Brain, Digestive Functions Hint at How Wolves Became Dogs (Sky News, 1/24/13).
• New Dog-Owner Trend: Swim Lessons for Fido — See News Report (The Wall Street Journal, 1/25/13).
Jan 23, 2013
• NIH Recommends Almost All Research Chimps Go to Sanctuaries (The New York Times, 1/23/13). Read the NIH report here. Read more here and here. read related stories and view portraits with bios of retired research chimps here.
• 140 Nations, Including U.S., Adopt Treaty to Cut Mercury Pollution (AP, 1/19/13).
• Captured Baby Elephants Bound for China Zoo Returned to Wild (AP, The Washington Post, 1/21/13).
• Swimmer Pushes Shark to Sea — Watch Video Below (ITN News, 1/20/13).
Jan 20, 2013
• Chimps, Like Humans, Know How to Share — When They Must (NBC News.com, 1/14/13). See video here.
• Ancient Marine Creature Looked Like a Flower — See Image (CBS News 1/17/13).
For the Birds
• Big Winter Birding Festival Coming Up in Minnesota (The New York Times, 1/20/13).
• Documentary By, About Central Park Bird-Watchers in NYC Theater, on HBO (The Christian Science Monitor, 1/18/13). Learn more and see a clip here.
Nature Is Not Your Friend
• Woman Buried in Avalanche while Skiing, Boyfriend Saves Her (AP, 1/17/13). Read more here.
• Ship Carrying High School Students to Antarctic Hit by Storm, 30-Foot Wave (The New York Times, 1/17/13).
• 2013 Could be Worse Drought Year for U.S. Farmers than 2012, and 2012 was Bad (Discovery News, 1/15/13).
• Water Levels in Two Great Lakes Hit Record Lows, Still Falling (CNN, 1/17/13).
• Warmer U.S. Springs Bringing Earlier Spring Flowers (GlobalPost, 1/17/13).
• Sierra Club Presses Obama to Keep 2nd Term Promise to Act on Climate Change (The Hill, 1/14/13).
Our Poor Planet
• EPA Tells Industry to Cut Emissions Causing Wilderness Haze, Health Risks (San Francisco Chronicle, 1/17/13). Read more here.
• EPA Dropped Reports on Fracking, Poisoned Groundwater under Industry, GOP Pressure (USA Today, 1/16/13).
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Destroys Wetland, Wildlife Preserve without Permission (Los Angeles Times, 1/17/13).
• NOAA Report Says Mexican Fishing Nets Kill Too Many Loggerheads, Cites Other Countries for Other Crimes (U.S. News & World Report, 1/14/13).
• Thousands of Fish Wash Up Dead on North Carolina Beach — See Photos & Video (NBC News, 1/17/13)
• Higher Temps, Less Rain Wiping Out Hawaii’s Majestic Silversword Plant (Scientific American, 1/17/13).
• Bat-Killing Fungus Spreads from Canada, Northern U.S. to Kentucky (Los Angeles Times, 1/16/13).
• Cassini Orbiter Tracks Biggest Storm Ever Seen on Saturn (Scientific American, 1/17/13).
• New Images from Mars Add to Evidence Planet was Once Wet — See Photo (The Christian Science Monitor, 1/15/13). Read more and see more images here.
• NASA Getting Better at Tracking Asteroids that Could Hit Us (CBS News, 1/16/13).
People & Animals
• Some See Cruelty in Spanish Custom of Riding Horses through Fire (AlJazeeraEnglish, 1/17/13).
• Ferret-Lover Wants Pet-Owning Legalized in California (Los Angeles Times 1/14/13).