• Puget Sound’s Southern Resident Orcas in Serious Decline (The Guardian, 8/31/14). Learn more here and here.
• Activists Fight to Expose, End Pilot-Whale Slaughter in Faroes — See Photos & Video (Seattle PI, 8/30/14). Learn more here. See more disturbing photos & video here.
• Are Whale/Dolphin Watching Boats, Swimmers Stressing Dolphins & Whales? See Photos and Video (Mail Online 8/27/14).
• Humpback Saved from Death by Fishing-Gear Entanglement Returns to Fundy —See Photos (CBC News, 8/26/14).
• Navy Study of Impact of Activities in Gulf of Alaska Open for Review, Comment with Hearing Schedule (Marmam, 8/21/14). Learn more here.
• Swimming with Humpbacks Off Australia: Researchers Weigh Impact, Risks —Listen to Radio Report (ABC.net.au, 8/20/14).
• Explore.org Sets Up Boat-Based & Underwater Migrating Beluga Cams — See Videos (The Huffington Post, 8/19/14). See more video here.
• Orca Smacks Sea Lion through Air with Fluke — See Video (Mail Online 8/19/14).
• More Whales Appearing in Big Apple Waters (The Weather Channel, 8/16/14).
• Researchers Tag Minkes, Track Surprising, Antarctic Lunge Feeding (National Geographic 8/13/14). Read more here and here. Find the study here.
• Sound-Blasting Ocean Floor Mapping Poses Major Threat to Whales (LiveScience, 7/31/14).
• Irish Air Corp Films Breaching Fin Whales — See Video (Irish News, 7/31/14). Read more & see more video here.
• Japanese Kill 115 Whales in Pacific Hunt (International Business Times Australia, 7/30/14).
• Northern California Shipping Lanes May Shift to Protect Blue Whales (SFGate, 7/24/14). Read more here.
• Kayakers Get Lifted on Back of Right Whale in Patagonia — See Video (USA Today, 7/22/14). Read more and see more video here and here.
• Blue and Bryde Whales Appear Off Long Beach, CA — See News Report (KTLA.com, 7/22/14)
• Moss Landing Whale-Watching Boat Fined for Getting Too Close (KSBW Action News 8, 7/21/14).
• Obama to Open East Coast Waters to Gas, Oil Exploration Despite Threat to Marine Mammals (The Guardian 7/19/14).
• Humans Harass Another Right Whale Off Australia as She’s about to Give Birth — See Photos & Video (News Local Sydney, 7/18/14). Read more here. See more photos & a news report here.
• Tourist Misses, Video Captures Double Humpback Breach — See Video (MSN.NZ, 7/16/14).
• New Book Tells Story of Researcher Who Connected Marine Mammal Strandings, Deaths to Navy Sonar (The Washington Post, 7/11/14). Read more here.
• Tourists Swim with Humpbacks in Australia — See Photos & Video Report (Brisbane Times, 7/17/14).
• Feeding Blue Whale Flips Zodiac — See Photos & Video (Mail Online, 7/3/14).
• Whale-Watcher Screams in Excitement — See Video (People, 7/1/14).
• Washington State Pipeline Builders Might Use Explosives to Scare Orcas Away from Spills (The Globe and Mail, 6/29/14).
• Australian Surfers Harass (Possibly Pregnant) Right Whale Off Beach — See Photos (The Sydney Morning Herald, 6/29/14).
• Whale-Watching Boats Pose Strike Threat to Whales (The Guardian, 6/27/14).
• North Pacific Humpbacks May Come Off Endangered List (Reuters, 6/26/14).
• Study: Southern Resident Orcas Carry High Levels of Contaminants (AP, CTV News, 6/25/14).
• Migaloo, the White Humpback, is Back! — See Video Report (CNN, 6/19/14). Read more here. See more video here.
• Migrating Whales Thrill Boaters Off New Jersey (USA Today, 6/17/14).
• Japan Kills 30 More Minke Whales in Resumed “Research” Hunt (RT, 6/14/14). Read more here.
• Can a Dolphin Commit Suicide? (Huffington Post, 6/13/14).
• Rehabbed, Released, Wild Orca Springer Spotted with New Calf (eCanadaNow, 6/12/14).
• Two Spotted Dolphins Beach, Die in Ft. Myers, FL — See Photos & News Report (Fox 4, 6/12/14).
• Cruise Ship Speed Limits Imposed to Protect Whales in Glacier Bay (USA Today, 6/10/14).
• BBC Documentary Tells Story of Whaling in South Georgia — See Photos (The Telegraph, 6/7/14).
• Brazil Bans Catfish Fishery that Uses Endangered Pink Dolphin (Boto) as Bait (The Wire, 6/5/14).
• Researchers Capture Rare Footage of Leaping Fin Whale — See Video (The Wire, 6/5/14).
• Hawaiian Senator Thinks State Spends Too Much Protecting Whales, Turtles — See Video of Speech (Huffington Post, 6/3/14).
• Study: Dolphins Taste Only Salt (The Wire, 5/31/14).
• Two Belugas, Adult & Youngster, Found Dead on Cook Inlet Beach (Alaska Dispatch, 5/27/14).
• Sei Whale Struck, Killed, Dragged Up Hudson River by Cruise Ship (The Guardian, 5/24/14). Read more here.
• Good Eating Has Whales Swarming, Thrilling Whale-Watchers Off Massachusetts Coast — See Video (Boston Globe, 5/22/14). See more video here.
• Young Adult Humpback Finally Freed from Buoys, Lines that Almost Sever Its Fluke — See Photos (San Jose Mercury-News, 5/22/14). See video here. Learn more here and here.
• 103-Year-Old Orca, “Granny” (J2) Spotted Near Vancouver Island (CBC News, 5/13/14). Learn more here and here.
• Japan Resumes Whaling in Northwest Pacific — See News Report (ABC.net.au, 5/9/14). Learn more here.
• Snorkelers, Gray Whales Have Very Close Encounter Off Laguna Beach CA — See Photos (NBC 4 Los Angeles, 5/6/14).
• New Map Lets Whale-Lovers Follow Whales around Hawaiian Islands (Huffington Post 5/5/14). Try it out here.
• Sighting of Mother Minke with Newborn a First for Whale-Watchers Off San Juan Island — See Photos (San Juan Islander, undated).
• Puerto Rico Investigating if 4 People Harassed Whale & Calf (AP, 2/19/14).
• Cat Virus Identified in Arctic Belugas (Escapist Magazine 2/15/14).
• Japanese, Icelandic Whale Meat Passes through Canada (The Vancouver Sun, 2/13/14)
• Scientists Count Southern Right Whales by Satellite (BBC News 2/12/14). Read study here. Listen to radio segment here. Learn more here.
• Study: Eel Trackers Suggest Pilot Whales Hunt Them in Deep Atlantic (Nature World News, 2/10/14). Find study here.
• Study Suggests More Humane Way to Euthanize Beached Whales that Can’t be Saved (National Geographic 2/5/14)
• Orcas Hunt Dolphins Off British Columbia — See Photo & Video (CTV News 2/4/14)
• More than 400 Dead Dolphins Found on North Coast of Peru (NBC News, 2/4/14)
• Unusually High Number of Whales Beaching in Florida (Sun Sentinel, 2/3/14)
• Rare Sighting of Blue Whales Off New Zealand — See Video & Photos (Stuff.co.nz, 2/3/14)
• Author Justin Gregg Discusses Are Dolphins Really Smart? (The Boston Globe 2/2/14)
January 30, 2014
• Rare Beaked Whale Washes Up on Cornwall Beach (Western Morning News, 1/30/14)
January 28, 2014
• Gray Whales Court Off Dana Point, CA — See Video (NBC Southern California 1/28/14)
January 27, 2014
• NRDC, Other Groups Sue NMFS for Failure to Protect Dolphins, Whales against Impact of Navy Exercises (LiveScience, 1/27/14). Read more here.
• 4th Annual Whalefest Monterey Includes Inflatable, Walk-Through Humpback (Monterey Herald News, 1/27/14)
January 24, 2014
• New Species of River Dolphin ID’d in Brazil, Already Endangered (National Geographic, 1/24/14). Read the study here.
January 23, 2014
• Pilot Whales Led Back to Sea off Naples Restrand, Die Off Marco Island, FL (NaplesNews.com, 1/23/14). Read more, see images here.
January 22, 2014
January 21, 2014
• Japan Defends Annual Taiji Dolphin Slaughter —See Graphic Video (AP, 1/21/14). Read more here. See more graphic video here. Watch a CNN news report here. Read about Ambassador Caroline Kennedy’s expression of concern here.
January 20, 2014
• Can Scientist/Oil Company Collaboration Reduce Oil Exploration Impact on Whales? (Weather Underground, 1/20/14).
January 19, 2014
• Pilot Whales Led Back into Deep Water Restrand in New Zealand (Press.co.nz, 1/19/14). Read more here and here.
January 16, 2014
• Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Sperm Whale as Orcs Circle — See Photos & Video (MailOnline, 1/16/14).
January 15, 2014
• Study: Powerful Flukes Secret of Dolphin’s Swimming Speed (National Geographic, 1/15/14).
• Researcher Fined for Feeding Wild Killer Whales (Los Angeles Times, 1/15/14)
January 14, 2014
• Volunteers Try to Save Stranded Pilot Whales in New Zealand — See Video (Paige Diana, YouTube, 1/14/14).
January 13, 2014
• Two Lucky Blokes Find Hunk of Ambergris on North Wales Beach (BBC News, 1/13/14).
January 11, 2014
• DNA Analysis Reveals Two Distinct Dolphin Species Mated, Gave Rise to Third (National Geographic 1/11/14).
January 10, 2014
• Sperm Whale Washes Up on Boca Raton Beach — See News Report (ABC Action News, 1/10/14). See drone video here.
• Icelandic Beer Brewed with Ground Fin Whale Bone Angers Conservationists (Anchorage Daily News, 1/10/14).
January 8, 2014
• Report: 650,000 Marine Mammals Hurt, Killed Each Year in Foreign Fisheries (National Geographic, 1/8/14). Read the NRDC report here.
January 7, 2014
• Conjoined Gray Whale Calves, Deceased, Found in Lagoon (ABC.net.au, 1/7/14). Read more here. See video footage here.
• Sea Shepherd Claims to Have Japanese Whalers on the Run (CNN, 1/7/14).
January 6, 2014
• 39 Pilot Whales Beach in New Zealand, 12 Die, Rest Shot (CNN, 1/6/14).
- Count of Gray Whales Heading South Off California Doubles in Year, Researchers Puzzled — See Slide Show (Los Angeles Times, 1/6/14).
- Sea Shepherd Films Dead Minkes, a Protected Species, on Japanese Whaling Ship — See News Report (The Telegraph, 1/6/14).
January 3, 2014
• Claim that Dolphins Get High on Pufferfish Toxin a Bunch of Hooey? (NBC News, 1/3/14). See more video here.