November 29, 2013
• 12-Year-Old Girl Protests SeaWorld Float in Macy’s T’Day Parade — See Video & Images (Gothamist, 11/29/13). Read more and see more images here and here. Read more about Barenaked Ladies’ decision not to perform at SeaWorld Orlando after seeing the documentary Blackfish here and here.
November 27, 2013
• Macy’s Keeps SeaWorld Float in T’Day Parade Despite Growing Protest (The Wenatchee World, 11/27/13). Read more here. Voice opposition here. Read about Barenaked Ladies withdrawing/being dropped from SeaWorld Orlando appearance after viewing SeaWorld orca-captivity exposé documentary Blackfish here.
November 26, 2013
• Two Minkes Killed by Ship Strike Wash Up in 1 Week on UK Beach (The Guardian 11/26/13). Read more here.
November 24, 2013
• Come and Get it! Huge Anchovy Shoals Draw Sea Lions, Sea Birds, Humpbacks, Orcas, Whale-Watchers to Monterey Bay — See Video (The New York Times, 11/24/13).
November 23, 2013
• Right Whale Celebration in New Bedford, MA Sunday 12/1 (WDC, 11/23/13). Buy tickets here.
November 18, 2013
• News of SeaWorld Float in Macy’s T’Day Parade Sparks Protest (The Christian Science Monitor, 11/18/13). Tell Macy’s “No SeaWorld Float!” here. Read more here. Read about SeaWorld’s planned Rose Bowl Parade float here.
November 16, 2013
• Vancouver Aquarium Yoga Class in Front of Captive Beluga Tank Sparks Protest (eCanada Now, 11/16/13). Read more here.
• Rescuers Free Young Humpback Tangled in Fishing Gear Off New Jersey (Asbury Park Press, 11/16/13).
November 11, 2013
• Hunting Orcas Thrill Whale-Watchers in Monterey Bay — See Photos (San Jose Mercury News, 11/11/13). See more photos here.
November 9, 2013
• SeaWorld Appeals OSHA Ban on Close Contact Between Orcas, Trainers (U-T San Diego, 11/9/13). Read more here and here and here.
November 8, 2013
• Dolphin-Killing Virus Hits Florida, Record 753 Dolphins, Few Whales Already Dead (NBC News, 11/8/13). Read more here and here.
November 7, 2013
• Researchers Film Rarely-Seen Beaked Whales Leaping Off Canaries (M.E.E.R.e.V., 10/22/13, Marmam Digest, 11/7/13).
November 6, 2013
• Extraordinary Year for Dolphin, Whale Sightings Off Vancouver (The Vancouver Sun, 11/6/13).
• Report: Wild Killer Whales Captured Off Eastern Russia to Stock Overseas Marine Parks (Orlando Sentinel, 11/6/13). Read more here.
• Ghana Sees Sudden Increase in Dead Whales Washing Up Along Coast (The Raw Story, 11/6/13).
October 29, 2013
• New Species of Humpback Dolphin ID’d off Australia (AmericanLiveWire.com, 10/29/13). Read about and see photos of another new Australian dolphin species discovered two years ago here.
October 28, 2013
• B.C.’s Southern Resident Orca Numbers Dwindling, Reproductive Outlook Not Great (The Islands’ Sounder, 10/23/13).
October 24, 2013
• BC’s Northern Resident Orcas Go Quiet, Researchers Wonder Why — See News Report (The Canadian Press, 10/24/13). Read more here.
• Director of Blackfish: Making Film Opened My Eyes to Barbarity of Killer Whale Captvity (The Daily Beast, 10/24/13).
October 23, 2013
• Rest in Peace, Don Pachico: Fisherman, Guide, Defender of Gray Whale Refuge Dies at 72 (ABC News, 10/23/13). Read more here.
• Study: Endangered Whales in B.C. Being Assaulted, Stressed by Increasing Ocean Noise (The Vancouver Sun, 10/23/13). Read more here.
October 22, 2013
• Humpback Whale Calf Dies in Shark Net Off Sydney, Australia (The Guardian, 10/22/13). Read more here.
• OSHA Refusing to Release SeaWorld Protocols for Orca-Trainer Interactions (CTV News, 10/22/13). Read more here.
October 20, 2013
• Group Says Peruvian Fisherman Killing Thousands of Dolphins, Government Says It Will Investigate (Los Angeles Times, 10/20/13).
October 17, 2013
• Research Study: Does Killer Whale Menopause Benefit Family Survival? (The Guardian, 10/17/13). Read more here. Learn more about the study here and here. Learn about an earlier study here.
October 16, 2013
• Rare, Subarctic-Dwelling, Saber-Toothed Whale Washes Up on California Beach (Los Angeles Times, 10/16/13).
October 11, 2013
• Rare Bottlenose Whale Shows Up Again Off Nova Scotia — See Photos & Video (CBC News, 10/11/13)
October 9, 2013
• New Zealand Study: False Killer Whales and Bottlenose Dolphins Form Tight Bonds (ABC Science, 10/9/13). Find the study here.
October 7, 2013
• Scott Portelli Swims with Humpbacks, and You Can, Too — See Photos & Video (Daily Mail Online, 10/7/13). Learn more and see more videos here. Watch short video profile of Portelli here.
October 4, 2013
• Researchers Observe Pilot Whale Supporting Dead Juvenile — See Photos (M.E.E.R. e.V., 9/5/13, Marman, 10/4/13). Learn more here.
• Right Whales Missing from Bay of Fundy, Where’d They Go? — See News Report (CBCNews, 10/4/13).
October 2, 2013
• Georgia Aquarium: We Need to Keep Putting Belugas in Tanks (Where They Die) to Save Them (TakePart, 10/2/13).
September 26, 2013
• Crittercam Reveals Humpbacks Don’t Just Bubble Net, They Bottom Feed, Too — See More Video (NOAA, National Marine Sanctuaries, 9/26/13).
• Court to Navy: Plan to Protect Marine Mammals from Sonar Is Insufficient (Reuters, 9/26/13). Learn more here. Read ruling here.
• Panama Dies at Clearwater Aquarium, Officials Blame Age — See News Report (Tampa Bay Times, 9/26/13).
September 25, 2013:
• Report: Sonar Oil Exploring Caused Stranding of 100 Melon-Headed Whles in Madagascar (Examiner.com, 9/25/13). Learn more here, here and here. Read the report here.
September 24, 2013
• Humpbacks Heading South Pause to Feed Off Rockaways — See News Report (CBS News, 9/24/13). See more video here.
September 22, 2013
• Southern Right Whale Mom and Calf Check Out Australian Surfers (News.Com.au, 9/22/13).
September 20, 2013
• Auckland Port Takes Steps to Protect Endangered Bryde’s Whales from Ship Strike (Scoop Independent News, 9/20/13). See the protocol here.
September 16, 2013
• Scientists Learn about Dead Blue Whale’s Life from Waxy Ear Plug — See Photos (NBC News, 9/16/13). Learn more here, here and here. Find the study here.
September 13, 2013
• Researchers 90% Sure They Saw Extremely Rare Toothed Whale Off Ireland (Irish Times, 9/13/13).
September 10, 2013
• Study: Long-Lived, Near Extinct Bowheads Sing 66 Different Songs — See Photos & Hear Radio Report (DW.de, 9/10/13). Read more and listen to remarkable whale-song recording here. See the full study here.
September 5, 2013
• Environmental Group Says Oil Exploration Killing Whales Off Ghana (BBC News, 9/5/13). Read more here and here.
September 4, 2013
• British Navy Killed 3 Whales, Thinking They were Subs, in Faulkland War (News.com.au, 9/4/13).
September 3, 2013
• Hawaiian Fishermen Want North Pacific Humpbacks Taken Off Endangered List (AP, Global News, 9/3/13).
• Critically Endangered Cook Inlet Belugas Show Up Near Anchorage — See Photos (Alaska Dispatch, 9/3/13).
August 30, 2013
• Navy Admits Training Exercises Will Kill Hundreds, Harm Thousands of Marine Mammals (KPBS, 8/30/13). See the Navy reports here and here.
August 28, 2013
• NOAA says Morbilla Virus Likely Cause of Continuing Dolphin Deaths (CBS News, 8/28/13).
• Roxanne, the Rehabbed Risso’s Dolphin, Released Off Long Island — See Photos & Video (ABC Local, Long Island News 8/28/13). See a longer video report here.
August 27, 2013
• Big Orca Swim-by Gives Humans Big Thrill on Galiano Island, BC (Global News, 8/27/13).
• Dolphins & Blue Whales Surf Together Off Dana Point, CA (MyFoxla.com, DolphinSafari.com). See more Dolphin Safari whale-watching videos here.
• Measles-Like Virus Believed to be Cause of Worse Dolphin Die-Off in 25 Years — See Photos & Video (The Washington Post, 8/27/13). See NBC Nightly News report here.
August 25, 2013
• Captive-Born Beluga Bella Dies at Age 4 at SeaWorld San Antonio — See News Report (KSAT.com, 8/25/13). Read more here. See photos of Bella as a newborn here.
• Big Orca Swim-by Gives Humans Bit Thrill in Aptly Named Active Pass, Galiano Island, BC (
August 21, 2013
• Scientists Seek Cause of Mounting Dolphin Deaths Along Mid-Atlantic Coast (WTOP, 8/21,13).
August 20, 2013
• Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Humpback in Monterey Bay (San Jose Mercury News, 8/20/13).
• Study: Young Male Humpbacks Sing with Adult Males, Helping to Call Females and Learning Song — See Video of Singing Whale (Science Now, 8/19/13). Access the study here.
August 18, 2013
• Advocates Want Belugas Captured in Russia for U.S. Import Returned to Sea (Take Part, 8/18/13). See the petition here.
August 16, 2013
• North Atlantic Orcas May (or May Not) Be Branching into 2 Species (Science Now, 8/16/13). Access the study here.
August 15, 2013
• Dead and Dying Dolphins Washing Up on Mid-Atlantic Beaches (Quartz, 8/15/13). See news report here.
August 14, 2013
• Scientists Tag 4 Dwarf Minkes Off Great Barrier Reef in First Effort to Track Migration (The Raw Story, AFP, 8/14/13). Learn more about the long-term Minke Whale Project, see photos and follow sightings here.
August 13, 2013
• First-Ever Find of Fossilized Ambergris (Sperm Whale Poo) May Mark Site of Ancient Die-Off (Livescience.com, 8/13/13). Access the study here.
August 12, 2013
• Judge Says SeaWorld Making “Good Faith” Effort to Keep Orca Trainers Safe — Watch News Report (Click Orlando WKGB Local 6, 8/12/13).
August 11, 2013
• Captive Bottlenose React to Whistles of Tank Mates Not Seen in 20 Years (Chicago Tribute, 8/11/13). Red more here. See video report here.
August 9, 2013
• Study: Blindfolded Bottlenose Can Use Sound to See, Copy Human Behavior — See Photos (USA Today, 8/9/13). Watch video here.
August 8, 2013
• NOAA Decides Georgia Aquarium Cannot Import Wild Belugas! (NOAA, 8/6/13). Learn more here, here and here.
July 28 – August 8, 2013
GNN is away.
July 24, 2013
• Video of Nonresponse to Stuck Pilot Whale + Critical Doc Blackfish = More Bad Publicity for SeaWorld (Take Part, 7/24/13). See the 7/27 ABC News report here. Learn more about Blackfish here.
July 22, 2013
• Divers Have Really Close Encounter with Feeding Humpbacks (USA Today, 7/22/13).
• Study: Dolphins React to Hearing their Signature Whistles Much as Humans Do when Someone Calls their Name — Listen to the Broadcast, Hear a Whistle (NPR.org, 7/22/13). Access the study here.
July 20, 2013
• National Park Service Snaps Orcas Hunting Gray Whale Mother & Calf — See Photos (Alaska Dispatch, 7/20/13).
July 18, 2013
• SeaWorld Attack on Anti-Captivity Doc Blackfish Raises Eyebrows, Increases Interest in Film (The New York Times, 7/18/13).
July 17, 2013
• Va. Beach Fishermen See Right Whale Swim By Wrapped in Rope, One Jumps In, Cuts It Free (The Telegraph, 7/17/13). Read more here.
July 16, 2013
• Park Service Issues Cruise-Ship Speed Limits, Guidelines to Protect High Numbers of Humpbacks in Glacier Bay (USA Today, 7/16/13). Learn more here.
July 15, 2013
• Filmmaker, Scientist to Search for Mystery Whale with Distinctive Call (Discovery News, 7/15/13). Learn more about the film and see photos and illos here.
July 13, 2013
• Death at SeaWorld Author Refutes SeaWorld Attack on Anti-Captivity Documentary Blackfish (Takepart.com, 7/13/13). Read more about the film and filmmaker here. Read more about the argument here.
July 12, 2013
July 11, 2013
• Rescued, Rehabbed, Released Orca Springer Spotted with Calf (National Geographic, 7/11/13).
July 10, 2013
• Must-See Video: Winnepeg Artists Serenade, Commune with Wild Belugas (CBC News Manitoba, 7/10/13). Read more here.
• Can Dolphins “See” a Pregnant Woman’s Fetus? Expert Thinks “Yes“ (Livescience.com, 7/10/13).
July 8, 2013
• Study: Navy Sonar Disrupts Natural Behavior of Endangered BlueWhales (The Washington Post, 7/8/13). Read the full study here.
July 7, 2013
• Right Whale Flicks Tail, Knocks Surfer Unconscious — See Photos (SkyNewsHD, 7/7/13). Read more & see more photos here.
July 3, 2013
• Killer Whales Strand Off Australia’s Fraser Island (The Guardian, 7/3/13). See more video here. Read more and see more video and photos here and here.
July 1, 2013
June 27, 2013
• Odd-Looking Southern Ocean Orcas (Small Eye Patch, Bulbous Heads) Identified as New Species (National Geographic, 6/27/13).
• Victoria, AU Residents Cheer Return of Endangered Southern Right Whales (ABC South East SA, 6/27/13)
• Migaloo, the White Humpback, & 2nd White Whale Spotted Off New South Wales (The Guardian, 6/27/13). Read more and see more photos here.
June 26, 2013
• Dolphin Mega-Pods Off Mission Bay, CA Give Whale-Watchers a Thrill (ABC 10 News, 6/26/13). See more video here.
• Orca Groups Say Puget Sound Turbine Project Threatens Endangered Killer Whales (Daily Caller, 6/25/13). Learn more here.
June 23, 2013
• Australia Pushing to Ban Japanese Whaling in Antarctic (The Sydney Morning Herald, 6/23.13). Read more here.
June 21, 2013
• Hong Kong’s White Dolphin Population Down to 61 and Dwindling (ABC News, 6/21/13).
June 17, 2013
June 16, 2013
• SeaWorld Orcas in Spain: 10-Month-Old Baby, Rejected by Too-Young Mom, Dies at Loro Parque (Digital Journal, 6/16/13). Read more here and here.
• Something’s Killing Dolphins, Everything in Indian River Lagoon — See News Report (Tampa Bay Times, 6/16/13).
June 15, 2013
• Threatened with Suit, Feds Finally Act to Save Near-Extinct North Pacific Right Whales (Alaska Dispatch, 6/16/13).
June 14, 2013
• How Can Sperm Whales Dive So Deep for So Long? Blood Protein Offers Clue (The Christian Science Monitor, 6/14/13). Learn more here and here. Access the study here.
• Researchers Luck into Rare Sighting of Elusive Shepherd’s Beaked Whales (ABC News Australia, 6/14/13).
June 10, 2013
• Researchers Learn More about Wild Orcas Lives by Studying Causes of Death (Ottawa Citizen, 6/10/13). Learn more here. Read the full study here.
June 8, 2013
• Researcher Denise Herzing Discusses Efforts to Communicate with Wild Dolphins at TED (LiveScience.com, 6/6/13).
June 7, 2013
• Dolphin-Brain Researcher, Rights Activist Lori Marino to Do Radio Interview, Take Questions Monday, June 10 (BlogTalkRadio, RadioFreeRescue)
June 6, 2013
June 5, 2013
• Toronto Paper Reports Deaths of Two Captive-Born Belugas, Ages 3 Years & 7 Month, at MarineLand Canada (Toronto Star, 6/5/13).
June 3, 2013
• 3 Whales of 3 Different Species Wash Up on West Coast of New Zealand in 3 Days (The New Zealand Herald, 6/3/13).
• Photographer Bryant Austin Publishes New Book, Beautiful Whale — See Slideshow, Listen to Radio Interview, Read Excerpt (HereandNow, 90.9 wbur.org, 6/3/13). Order the book here. Learn more and see more images here.
• Marine Mammal Protection Act at Age 40: Yes, It Has Helped Protect Dolphins & Whales — Yes, It Could Do Better (Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, May, 2013/JoeRoman.com/Marmam, 6/3/13).
May 31, 2013
• Nat Geo Writer Explains Why Georgia Aquarium Bid to Import Russian Belugas Should be Denied (National Geographic, 5/31/13).
• California Shipping Lanes Will Shift to Reduce Whale Strikes (Wired.com, 5/31/13).
• Japanese Coast Guard Video Hundreds of Dolphins on Move, Possibly Fleeing Hunting Orcas (ITN, YouTube, 5/31/13). See raw video here.
May 30, 2013
• Japanese Company Bows to Pressure, Drops Dog Treats Made from Fin Whales (The Guardian, 5/30/13).
• 3 Brookfield Zoo Bottlenose Dolphins Pregnant, 3 More Babies Condemned to Captivity (Chicago Tribune, 5/30/13).
May 29, 2013
• Dolphin-Assisted Birth: Couple’s Hawaiian Plans Draw Criticism (Time, 5/29/13). Read more here. See videos and comments here.
May 28, 2013
• Japanese Company Turns Fin Whales into Dog Treats (PerthNow.com, 5/28/13).
May 24, 2013
• Journal Report: Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Killed 2 SeaWorld Orcas Weakened by Other Conditions of Captivity (MARMAM Digest, Vol 94, Issue 16, 5/24/13). Read more here. Read the journal report here.
May 23, 2013
• Journal Letter: No Mass Dolphin, Whale Strandings in Canary Islands since 2004 Navy Sonar Ban (MARMAM Digest, Vol 94, Issue 15, 5/23/13). Access the letter here. Read comments on it here. Read an earlier study by the lead author on how sonar kills whales here.
May 22, 2013
• India Joins Costa Rica, Hungary, Chile in Banning Captive Dolphin Shows, Swim Programs (Treehugger.com, 5/21/13).
May 21, 2013
• Study of Entangled, Freed Right Whale Proves the Obvious — Entanglement Can Kill (ScienceNews.com, 5/21/13).
May 19, 2013
• Orca Missing Dorsal, Pec, Can’t Hunt but Still Alive — Because Pod Members Feed & Protect? — See Photos (MailOnline.com, 5/19/13). Read more here.
• Blue Whales Seen Congregating in N.Z. Waters Pegged for Mineral Exploration — See News Report (TVNZ One News, 5/19/13). Learn more here and here.
May 18, 2013
• More Humpbacks in B.C. Lead to Breaching Whale-Boat Collision, Injury to Man & Whale — See Video Report (Global News, 5/18/13).
May 17, 2013
• Navy Dolphins Find Torpedo from Late 1800s Off Coronado (Los Angeles Times, 5/17/13).
May 15, 2013
• All Members of J Pod Present in First Spring Sighting, Including Granny, Believed 100 Years Old (Seattle PI, 5/15/13). Learn more here and here.
• NOAA, BOEM Will Assess Risks to Dolphins, Whales of Allowing Seismic Blasting in Gulf (Environmental News Service, 5/15/13).
May 13, 2013
• Australian Group to Teach Public Right/Wrong Ways to Help Stranded Dolphins (The Northern Star, 5/14/13). Learn more here.
May 11, 2013
• Happy Mother’s Day? Not for Captive Orca Babies & Moms — See Photos & Videos (Seattle PI, 5/11/13).
• Scientists Use Seafloor Recordings to Learn about Big, Loud, Talkative, Fast-Swimming, Mysterious Fin Whales (The Seattle Times, 5/11/13).
May 9, 2013
• Southern Right Whale Calves Dying off Patagonia from Attacks by Gulls (LiveScience.com, 5/9/13).
May 8, 2013
• Pierce Brosnan, NRDC Seek Halt to Navy Exercises Harmful to Whales, Dolphins Off U.S. Coasts (NRDC, 5/8/13). Read more here. See a longer video here. Send an email to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel here.
May 7, 2013
• NOAA Yet to Rule on Georgia Aquarium Bid to Import 18 Captured Belugas (NOAA Fisheries, 5/7/13).
May 6, 2013
• Conservationists Warn Pollution Could Doom Remaining Chinese White (aka Pink) Dolphins (Bangkok Post, 5/6/13).
• Photographer Snaps Orcas Ramming, Tossing, Eating Dolphin – See Photos (Wired, 5/6/13).
May 4, 2013
• Hawaiian Fisherman Say North Pacific Humpbacks Should Come Off Endangered List (New Zealand Herald, 5/4/13).
May 1, 2013
• Dive Couple Films Orcas Surfing in Boat Wake in Baja (Toronto Star, 5/1/13). Learn more and see news report here.
April 29, 2013
• North Atlantic Right Whales Return to Cape Cod, Boaters Urged to Watch Out, Slow Down (CBS Boston, 4/29/13). Read more, see more photos & video here. Watch right whales breaching in video above. See more videos here and here.
• New Zealand Officials Ask Public to Help Track, Count Southern Rights during May-Oct Migration (3 News New Zealand, 4/29/13).
• Old Whaling Logs Help Researchers Identify, Protect Southern Right Whale Habitats (3 News New Zealand, 4/29/13).
• Sperm Whales Spotted in Scotland’s Firth of Forth for First Time in 10 Years (BBC News, 4/29/13). Read more here.
April 26, 2013
• SeaWorld Fighting, Ignoring Order to Keep Trainers Away from Killer Whales – See News Report (Seattle PI, 4/26/13). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Goes Public, PETA Buys Stock to Educate Shareholders on Cruelty of Captivity (CNN Money, 4/24/13).
April 25, 2013
• Advocates Want Long-Captive Lolita Declared Member of Endangered Population, Returned to Family in Wild (Miami Herald, 4/25/13). Read more here and here.
• Humpbacks among NonHuman Species that Develop, Pass On New Behaviors (Discovery News, 4/25/13). Read more here, here and here.
April 24, 2013
• Royal Navy Changes Exercises Off N.E. Scotland to Avoid Area where Pilot Whales Stranded — See Video (BBC, 4/24/13). See another video here.
April 23, 2013
• Tim Gunn to Atlanta Gay Community: Don’t Party at Atlanta Aquarium, Have Compassion for Captive Belugas (Eonline, 4/23/13). Learn more here.
• Marine Biologist Admits Doing Wrong during Whale-Watching Trips (Dept. of Justice, 4/23/13). Read more here.
April 22, 2013
• Mz Blue at Earth Day Rally to Move CA Shipping Lanes, Save Blues (NRDC.org, 4/22/13). Learn more here. See video here.
April 21, 2013
• Filmmaker Documents Orca Attack on Sperms from Above, Below Surface (YouTube, 4/21). See video interview & underwater footage here. See great above & below surface photos here and here. Learn more about this natural phenomenon here.
April 19, 2013
• Conservation Group to Conduct Dolphin, Whale, Shark Survey Off Western Scotland (BBC, 4/19/13). Learn more, see more photos and videos here.
April 18, 2013
• Groups Ask Gov to Extend Regs Protecting Right Whales from Ship Strike in Breeding Areas (The Hill, 4/18/13). Read more here. See more photos & video here.
• Each June-July Only, Dwarf Minkes Interact with Humans Off Queensland (Seattle PI, 4/18/13). Learn more about expeditions here.
April 17, 2013
• Report: Proposed Sonic Blasting Threatens Dolphins, Whales Off S.E. Coast (Florida Today, 4/17/13). Read more here and here.
April 15, 2013
• Documentary Blackfish Says Captivity Turned Born-Free Orca Tilikum into Killer – See Trailer (AOL.com, 4/15/13). Read more here.
April 9, 2013
• Study: Bowheads Survived Last Climate Change by Moving to Arctic, Nowhere Left to Go (BBC News, 4/9/13). Read more here.
• Norway Still Killing Whales, Shipping Whale Meat to Japan —See Video (Seattle PI, 4/9/13). Read Animal Welfare Institute report here.
April 8, 2013
• Japanese Blame Sea Shepherd for Record-Low Whale Kills (USA Today, 4/8/13).
April 5, 2013
• Navy Exercises Off California Coast Threaten Dolphins & Whales — Listen to Radio Report (KQED Quest, 4/5/13). Read more here.
April 4, 2013
• Researchers Track Rare Antarctic Blue Whales with Sound Buoys — Watch Expedition Video (EnjoyHollywoodNews, 3/27/13). Read more and see photos here and here.
• Whale Exhibit from New Zealand at American Museum of Natural History in NYC — See Video (American Museum of Natural History, 3/26/13). See more photos, videos and learn much more about the exhibit and whales here. Read more here.
April 3, 2013
• SeaWorld Pushing to Put Trainers in Water with Orcas Despite Fatal Attack (Take Part, 4/3/13).
April 2, 2013
• Report: Dolphins in Gulf Still Dying in High Numbers 3 Years after Spill (Discovery News, 4/2/13). Get the report here.
March 28, 2013
• Sperms Near Mouth of Mississippi Judged Unique, May Get Extra Protections (Sun Herald, 3/28/13). Read more here.
March 23, 2013
• Bryant Austin’s “Beautiful Whale” Exhibit at Museum of Monterey to Sept 2 (Santa Cruz Sentinel, 3/23/13). See more photos here and here. Watch a beautiful video about Austin, his work and the whales he has known here.
March 19, 2013
• Gray Whales Check Out Small Boat & Boaters — See Video (WIVB 4, 3/19/13).
March 14, 2013
• Study Blows Theory that Pilot Whales Strand in Family Groups (Science Daily, 3/14/13). Read the full study here.
March 13, 2013
• Divers Have 2 Underwater Encounters with Humpback Whales – See Videos (AmericaBlog.com, 1/26 & 3/13/13). See and read about the first, longer encounter here snfthe second, shorter one here. Listen as you watch, and you’ll hear whale sounds.
• Entangled Humpback Sighted, Tracked, Freed Off Hawaii (Lahaina News, 3/21/13). See more photos here.
• Ukrainian Official Says Reports of AWOL Military Dolphins Are False (Fox News, 3/13/13).
March 12, 2013
• Meet Christopher Swann, Seeker, Photographer of Dolphins & Whales (The Telegraph, 3/12/13). See more of Swann’s exquitie photographs here.
• Three Dolphins in Ukrainian Military Program Go Missing — See Photos and News Video (The Voice of Russia UK Edition, 3/12/13). Read more here, here and here.
March 8, 2013
• California Panel Nixes Navy Training Plan, Says: Prove It Won’t Kill Whales (Orange County Register, 3/8/13). Read more here. Watch video and learn a lot more here.
March 7, 2013
• Agency Cites SeaWorld Orlando for Conditions Hazardous to Orca Health (Take Part, 3/7/13). See the report here.
• Researcher Says Only Humans & Dolphins Have, Use Names — See Video (2 News wdtn.com, 3/7/13).
Feb 28, 2013
• Awesome: Orcas, Surfers, Seals Share Waves Off Tofino, B.C. — See Video (Toronto Star, 2/28/13). Read more here. Watch a Canadian news report here.
Feb 27, 2013
• Japanese Official Says Japanese Will Never Stop Hunting, Eating Whales — Watch News Segment (ABC News Australia, 2/27/13). See more footage of Sea Shepherd Messing with Japanese Whalers here.
Feb 25, 2013
• Blue Whales Make Earliest Known Winter Showing Off California — See Photo and Videos (Orange County Register, 2/25/13).
Feb 22, 2013
• Rare Winter Sighting of Sperm Whales Off N.W. Scotland Linked to Climate Change — See Photos (AOL Travel, 2/22/13). Read more here.
Feb 19, 2013
• Bottlenose Dolphins Call Close Associates by “Name” (Discovery News, 2/19/13). Read more here. Read the full study here.
Feb 18, 2013
• Whale Watchers Off San Diego See Thousands of Dolphins Going Somewhere Fast — See Video (Los Angeles Times, 2/18/13). Read more and see a great photo here.
• Fossils of Four New Whale Species Found during California Highway Dig (Wired, 2/18/13).
Feb 15, 2013
• So Beautiful, So Sad: Wild-Born Kasatka Gives Birth to Another Calf Conceived Via A.I. at SeaWorld San Diego — See Video (Huffington Post, 2/15/13). Read more here. See more video here and here.
• Polar Bears, Human Hunters Kill, Feast on Belugas Trapped in Ice — See Photos (Nunatsiaq Online, 2/14/13). Read more here.
Feb 13, 2013
• Gene Studies Give Scientists Truer Sense of N. Atlantic Humpback Numbers Pre-Whaling (EurekAlert!, 2/13/13).
Feb 12, 2013
• Young Bottlenose of Unclear Origin Gives Birth at Sea World Gold Coast AU (Travel Blackboard, 2/12/13).
Feb 5, 2013
• Speeding Boat Hits Whale, Keeps Going, Whale Breaches Near 2nd Boat — See Photos & Video (NBC/KPNX, 2/5/13).
Feb 4, 2013
• Gray Whales Get Early Start on Mating Off California as Bottlenose Observes — See Video (Orange County Register, 2/4/13).
• Groups Appeal Ruling that Lets Navy Build Training Range in Right Whale Waters (Navy Times, 1/30/13).
• Dolphins & Fishermen Work Cooperatively in Brazil, Have For Decades — See Video (Slate.com, 1/31/13). See more video here
• British Man Finds Hunk of Sperm-Whale Puke, aka Ambergris, Worth $180K — See Video (Huffington Post, 1/31/13).
• Writer Bases Story of Very Old Whale on Evidence Some Whales Can Live to 200+ (Anchorage Daily News, 2/2/13).
• Illustrated Children’s Book Tells Story of Girl Who Realizes Dolphins & Whales Don’t Belong in Tanks (Digital Journal, 2/3/13). Learn more and see the book cover here.
• So Sad: Reporter Promotes Casino’s New Way to Exploit Captive Dolphins— Train Them to Paint, Charge to Participate, Sell Results (Las Vegas Review-Journal, 2/3/13).
Jan 26, 2013
• Three Endangered Right Whales Freed from Fishing Line in ’99, ’08, ’10 Have New Babies (ABC News, 1/24/13).
• Lone Common Dolphin Dies in Brooklyn’s Filthy Gowanus Canal (The New York Times, 1/26/12). Read more here. View hard-to-watch videos here and here.
• Villagers Break No-Kill Pact, Slaughter 1,000 Dolphins in Solomon Islands (Earth Island Journal, 1/25/13). Read more here and here.
Jan 23, 2013
• Whale-Watchers Treated to Rare Sight of Large Group of Migrating Grays (Los Angeles Times, 1/23/13).
• Two Arnoux’s Beaked Whales, Mysterious Oceanic Species, Strand in NZ (The Southland Times, 1/23/13).
Saturday, Jan 19, 2013
• “Blackfish,” Documentary about SeaWorld Orca Tilikum’s Fatal Attack on Trainer, Screening at Sundance (Sundance.org). See a short clip here. Watch a video interview with the filmmaker and learn why she made the film and how it changed her here.
• Two Humpbacks Pay Gentle, Thrilling Visit to Whale-Watchers in Raft — See Video (9News.com, 1/19/13).
Jan 18, 2013
• Sperm Whales Adopt/Tolerate, Bottlenose Dolphin with Spinal Deformity (AAAS Science Now, 1/18/13).
Jan 17, 2013
• Migrating Gray Whale Pauses to Play with Pacific White-Sided Dolphins (Captain Dave’s Dolphin & Whale Safari, 1/15/13). Learn more here. See silent video here. See video of a similar 2010 encounter here.. (P