• Japan Kills 30 More Minke Whales in Resumed “Research” Hunt (RT, 6/14/14). Read more here.
• Can a Dolphin Commit Suicide? (Huffington Post, 6/13/14).
• Rehabbed, Released, Wild Orca Springer Spotted with New Calf (eCanadaNow, 6/12/14).
• Two Spotted Dolphins Beach, Die in Ft. Myers, FL — See Photos & News Report (Fox 4, 6/12/14).
• Cruise Ship Speed Limits Imposed to Protect Whales in Glacier Bay (USA Today, 6/10/14).
• BBC Documentary Tells Story of Whaling in South Georgia — See Photos (The Telegraph, 6/7/14).
• Brazil Bans Catfish Fishery that Uses Endangered Pink Dolphin (Boto) as Bait (The Wire, 6/5/14).
• Researchers Capture Rare Footage of Leaping Fin Whale — See Video (The Wire, 6/5/14).
• Hawaiian Senator Thinks State Spends Too Much Protecting Whales, Turtles — See Video of Speech (Huffington Post, 6/3/14).
• Study: Dolphins Taste Only Salt (The Wire, 5/31/14).
• Two Belugas, Adult & Youngster, Found Dead on Cook Inlet Beach (Alaska Dispatch, 5/27/14).
• Sei Whale Struck, Killed, Dragged Up Hudson River by Cruise Ship (The Guardian, 5/24/14). Read more here.
• Good Eating Has Whales Swarming, Thrilling Whale-Watchers Off Massachusetts Coast — See Video (Boston Globe, 5/22/14). See more video here.
• Young Adult Humpback Finally Freed from Buoys, Lines that Almost Sever Its Fluke — See Photos (San Jose Mercury-News, 5/22/14). See video here. Learn more here and here.
• 103-Year-Old Orca, “Granny” (J2) Spotted Near Vancouver Island (CBC News, 5/13/14). Learn more here and here.
• Japan Resumes Whaling in Northwest Pacific — See News Report (ABC.net.au, 5/9/14). Learn more here.
• Snorkelers, Gray Whales Have Very Close Encounter Off Laguna Beach CA — See Photos (NBC 4 Los Angeles, 5/6/14).
• New Map Lets Whale-Lovers Follow Whales around Hawaiian Islands (Huffington Post 5/5/14). Try it out here.
• Sighting of Mother Minke with Newborn a First for Whale-Watchers Off San Juan Island — See Photos (San Juan Islander, undated).
• Puerto Rico Investigating if 4 People Harassed Whale & Calf (AP, 2/19/14).
• Cat Virus Identified in Arctic Belugas (Escapist Magazine 2/15/14).
• Japanese, Icelandic Whale Meat Passes through Canada (The Vancouver Sun, 2/13/14)
• Scientists Count Southern Right Whales by Satellite (BBC News 2/12/14). Read study here. Listen to radio segment here. Learn more here.
• Study: Eel Trackers Suggest Pilot Whales Hunt Them in Deep Atlantic (Nature World News, 2/10/14). Find study here.
• Study Suggests More Humane Way to Euthanize Beached Whales that Can’t be Saved (National Geographic 2/5/14)
• Orcas Hunt Dolphins Off British Columbia — See Photo & Video (CTV News 2/4/14)
• More than 400 Dead Dolphins Found on North Coast of Peru (NBC News, 2/4/14)
• Unusually High Number of Whales Beaching in Florida (Sun Sentinel, 2/3/14)
• Rare Sighting of Blue Whales Off New Zealand — See Video & Photos (Stuff.co.nz, 2/3/14)
• Author Justin Gregg Discusses Are Dolphins Really Smart? (The Boston Globe 2/2/14)
January 30, 2014
• Rare Beaked Whale Washes Up on Cornwall Beach (Western Morning News, 1/30/14)
January 28, 2014
• Gray Whales Court Off Dana Point, CA — See Video (NBC Southern California 1/28/14)
January 27, 2014
• NRDC, Other Groups Sue NMFS for Failure to Protect Dolphins, Whales against Impact of Navy Exercises (LiveScience, 1/27/14). Read more here.
• 4th Annual Whalefest Monterey Includes Inflatable, Walk-Through Humpback (Monterey Herald News, 1/27/14)
January 24, 2014
• New Species of River Dolphin ID’d in Brazil, Already Endangered (National Geographic, 1/24/14). Read the study here.
January 23, 2014
• Pilot Whales Led Back to Sea off Naples Restrand, Die Off Marco Island, FL (NaplesNews.com, 1/23/14). Read more, see images here.
January 22, 2014
January 21, 2014
• Japan Defends Annual Taiji Dolphin Slaughter —See Graphic Video (AP, 1/21/14). Read more here. See more graphic video here. Watch a CNN news report here. Read about Ambassador Caroline Kennedy’s expression of concern here.
January 20, 2014
• Can Scientist/Oil Company Collaboration Reduce Oil Exploration Impact on Whales? (Weather Underground, 1/20/14).
January 19, 2014
• Pilot Whales Led Back into Deep Water Restrand in New Zealand (Press.co.nz, 1/19/14). Read more here and here.
January 16, 2014
• Kayaker Has Close Encounter with Sperm Whale as Orcs Circle — See Photos & Video (MailOnline, 1/16/14).
January 15, 2014
• Study: Powerful Flukes Secret of Dolphin’s Swimming Speed (National Geographic, 1/15/14).
• Researcher Fined for Feeding Wild Killer Whales (Los Angeles Times, 1/15/14)
January 14, 2014
• Volunteers Try to Save Stranded Pilot Whales in New Zealand — See Video (Paige Diana, YouTube, 1/14/14).
January 13, 2014
• Two Lucky Blokes Find Hunk of Ambergris on North Wales Beach (BBC News, 1/13/14).
January 11, 2014
• DNA Analysis Reveals Two Distinct Dolphin Species Mated, Gave Rise to Third (National Geographic 1/11/14).
January 10, 2014
• Sperm Whale Washes Up on Boca Raton Beach — See News Report (ABC Action News, 1/10/14). See drone video here.
• Icelandic Beer Brewed with Ground Fin Whale Bone Angers Conservationists (Anchorage Daily News, 1/10/14).
January 8, 2014
• Report: 650,000 Marine Mammals Hurt, Killed Each Year in Foreign Fisheries (National Geographic, 1/8/14). Read the NRDC report here.
January 7, 2014
• Conjoined Gray Whale Calves, Deceased, Found in Lagoon (ABC.net.au, 1/7/14). Read more here. See video footage here.
• Sea Shepherd Claims to Have Japanese Whalers on the Run (CNN, 1/7/14).
January 6, 2014
• 39 Pilot Whales Beach in New Zealand, 12 Die, Rest Shot (CNN, 1/6/14).
- Count of Gray Whales Heading South Off California Doubles in Year, Researchers Puzzled — See Slide Show (Los Angeles Times, 1/6/14).
- Sea Shepherd Films Dead Minkes, a Protected Species, on Japanese Whaling Ship — See News Report (The Telegraph, 1/6/14).
January 3, 2014
• Claim that Dolphins Get High on Pufferfish Toxin a Bunch of Hooey? (NBC News, 1/3/14). See more video here.