May 22, 2013
• India Joins Costa Rica, Hungary, Chile in Banning Captive Dolphin Shows, Swim Programs (Treehugger.com, 5/21/13).
May 21, 2013
• Study of Entangled, Freed Right Whale Proves the Obvious — Entanglement Can Kill (ScienceNews.com, 5/21/13).
May 19, 2013
• Orca Missing Dorsal, Pec, Can’t Hunt but Still Alive — Because Pod Members Feed & Protect? — See Photos (MailOnline.com, 5/19/13). Read more here.
• Blue Whales Seen Congregating in N.Z. Waters Pegged for Mineral Exploration — See News Report (TVNZ One News, 5/19/13). Learn more here and here.
May 18, 2013
• More Humpbacks in B.C. Lead to Breaching Whale-Boat Collision, Injury to Man & Whale — See Video Report (Global News, 5/18/13).
May 17, 2013
• Navy Dolphins Find Torpedo from Late 1800s Off Coronado (Los Angeles Times, 5/17/13).
May 15, 2013
• All Members of J Pod Present in First Spring Sighting, Including Granny, Believed 100 Years Old (Seattle PI, 5/15/13). Learn more here and here.
• NOAA, BOEM Will Assess Risks to Dolphins, Whales of Allowing Seismic Blasting in Gulf (Environmental News Service, 5/15/13).
May 13, 2013
• Australian Group to Teach Public Right/Wrong Ways to Help Stranded Dolphins (The Northern Star, 5/14/13). Learn more here.
May 11, 2013
• Happy Mother’s Day? Not for Captive Orca Babies & Moms — See Photos & Videos (Seattle PI, 5/11/13).
• Scientists Use Seafloor Recordings to Learn about Big, Loud, Talkative, Fast-Swimming, Mysterious Fin Whales (The Seattle Times, 5/11/13).
May 9, 2013
• Southern Right Whale Calves Dying off Patagonia from Attacks by Gulls (LiveScience.com, 5/9/13).
May 8, 2013
• Pierce Brosnan, NRDC Seek Halt to Navy Exercises Harmful to Whales, Dolphins Off U.S. Coasts (NRDC, 5/8/13). Read more here. See a longer video here. Send an email to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel here.
May 7, 2013
• NOAA Yet to Rule on Georgia Aquarium Bid to Import 18 Captured Belugas (NOAA Fisheries, 5/7/13).
May 6, 2013
• Conservationists Warn Pollution Could Doom Remaining Chinese White (aka Pink) Dolphins (Bangkok Post, 5/6/13).
• Photographer Snaps Orcas Ramming, Tossing, Eating Dolphin – See Photos (Wired, 5/6/13).
May 4, 2013
• Hawaiian Fisherman Say North Pacific Humpbacks Should Come Off Endangered List (New Zealand Herald, 5/4/13).
May 1, 2013
• Dive Couple Films Orcas Surfing in Boat Wake in Baja (Toronto Star, 5/1/13). Learn more and see news report here.
April 29, 2013
• North Atlantic Right Whales Return to Cape Cod, Boaters Urged to Watch Out, Slow Down (CBS Boston, 4/29/13). Read more, see more photos & video here. Watch right whales breaching in video above. See more videos here and here.
• New Zealand Officials Ask Public to Help Track, Count Southern Rights during May-Oct Migration (3 News New Zealand, 4/29/13).
• Old Whaling Logs Help Researchers Identify, Protect Southern Right Whale Habitats (3 News New Zealand, 4/29/13).
• Sperm Whales Spotted in Scotland’s Firth of Forth for First Time in 10 Years (BBC News, 4/29/13). Read more here.
April 26, 2013
• SeaWorld Fighting, Ignoring Order to Keep Trainers Away from Killer Whales – See News Report (Seattle PI, 4/26/13). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Goes Public, PETA Buys Stock to Educate Shareholders on Cruelty of Captivity (CNN Money, 4/24/13).
April 25, 2013
• Advocates Want Long-Captive Lolita Declared Member of Endangered Population, Returned to Family in Wild (Miami Herald, 4/25/13). Read more here and here.
• Humpbacks among NonHuman Species that Develop, Pass On New Behaviors (Discovery News, 4/25/13). Read more here, here and here.
April 24, 2013
• Royal Navy Changes Exercises Off N.E. Scotland to Avoid Area where Pilot Whales Stranded — See Video (BBC, 4/24/13). See another video here.
April 23, 2013
• Tim Gunn to Atlanta Gay Community: Don’t Party at Atlanta Aquarium, Have Compassion for Captive Belugas (Eonline, 4/23/13). Learn more here.
• Marine Biologist Admits Doing Wrong during Whale-Watching Trips (Dept. of Justice, 4/23/13). Read more here.
April 22, 2013
• Mz Blue at Earth Day Rally to Move CA Shipping Lanes, Save Blues (NRDC.org, 4/22/13). Learn more here. See video here.
April 21, 2013
• Filmmaker Documents Orca Attack on Sperms from Above, Below Surface (YouTube, 4/21). See video interview & underwater footage here. See great above & below surface photos here and here. Learn more about this natural phenomenon here.
April 19, 2013
• Conservation Group to Conduct Dolphin, Whale, Shark Survey Off Western Scotland (BBC, 4/19/13). Learn more, see more photos and videos here.
April 18, 2013
• Groups Ask Gov to Extend Regs Protecting Right Whales from Ship Strike in Breeding Areas (The Hill, 4/18/13). Read more here. See more photos & video here.
• Each June-July Only, Dwarf Minkes Interact with Humans Off Queensland (Seattle PI, 4/18/13). Learn more about expeditions here.
April 17, 2013
• Report: Proposed Sonic Blasting Threatens Dolphins, Whales Off S.E. Coast (Florida Today, 4/17/13). Read more here and here.
April 15, 2013
• Documentary Blackfish Says Captivity Turned Born-Free Orca Tilikum into Killer – See Trailer (AOL.com, 4/15/13). Read more here.
April 9, 2013
• Study: Bowheads Survived Last Climate Change by Moving to Arctic, Nowhere Left to Go (BBC News, 4/9/13). Read more here.
• Norway Still Killing Whales, Shipping Whale Meat to Japan —See Video (Seattle PI, 4/9/13). Read Animal Welfare Institute report here.
April 8, 2013
• Japanese Blame Sea Shepherd for Record-Low Whale Kills (USA Today, 4/8/13).
April 5, 2013
• Navy Exercises Off California Coast Threaten Dolphins & Whales — Listen to Radio Report (KQED Quest, 4/5/13). Read more here.
April 4, 2013
• Researchers Track Rare Antarctic Blue Whales with Sound Buoys — Watch Expedition Video (EnjoyHollywoodNews, 3/27/13). Read more and see photos here and here.
• Whale Exhibit from New Zealand at American Museum of Natural History in NYC — See Video (American Museum of Natural History, 3/26/13). See more photos, videos and learn much more about the exhibit and whales here. Read more here.
April 3, 2013
• SeaWorld Pushing to Put Trainers in Water with Orcas Despite Fatal Attack (Take Part, 4/3/13).
April 2, 2013
• Report: Dolphins in Gulf Still Dying in High Numbers 3 Years after Spill (Discovery News, 4/2/13). Get the report here.
March 28, 2013
• Sperms Near Mouth of Mississippi Judged Unique, May Get Extra Protections (Sun Herald, 3/28/13). Read more here.
March 23, 2013
• Bryant Austin’s “Beautiful Whale” Exhibit at Museum of Monterey to Sept 2 (Santa Cruz Sentinel, 3/23/13). See more photos here and here. Watch a beautiful video about Austin, his work and the whales he has known here.
March 19, 2013
• Gray Whales Check Out Small Boat & Boaters — See Video (WIVB 4, 3/19/13).
March 14, 2013
• Study Blows Theory that Pilot Whales Strand in Family Groups (Science Daily, 3/14/13). Read the full study here.
March 13, 2013
• Divers Have 2 Underwater Encounters with Humpback Whales – See Videos (AmericaBlog.com, 1/26 & 3/13/13). See and read about the first, longer encounter here snfthe second, shorter one here. Listen as you watch, and you’ll hear whale sounds.
• Entangled Humpback Sighted, Tracked, Freed Off Hawaii (Lahaina News, 3/21/13). See more photos here.
• Ukrainian Official Says Reports of AWOL Military Dolphins Are False (Fox News, 3/13/13).
March 12, 2013
• Meet Christopher Swann, Seeker, Photographer of Dolphins & Whales (The Telegraph, 3/12/13). See more of Swann’s exquitie photographs here.
• Three Dolphins in Ukrainian Military Program Go Missing — See Photos and News Video (The Voice of Russia UK Edition, 3/12/13). Read more here, here and here.
March 8, 2013
• California Panel Nixes Navy Training Plan, Says: Prove It Won’t Kill Whales (Orange County Register, 3/8/13). Read more here. Watch video and learn a lot more here.
March 7, 2013
• Agency Cites SeaWorld Orlando for Conditions Hazardous to Orca Health (Take Part, 3/7/13). See the report here.
• Researcher Says Only Humans & Dolphins Have, Use Names — See Video (2 News wdtn.com, 3/7/13).
Feb 28, 2013
• Awesome: Orcas, Surfers, Seals Share Waves Off Tofino, B.C. — See Video (Toronto Star, 2/28/13). Read more here. Watch a Canadian news report here.
Feb 27, 2013
• Japanese Official Says Japanese Will Never Stop Hunting, Eating Whales — Watch News Segment (ABC News Australia, 2/27/13). See more footage of Sea Shepherd Messing with Japanese Whalers here.
Feb 25, 2013
• Blue Whales Make Earliest Known Winter Showing Off California — See Photo and Videos (Orange County Register, 2/25/13).
Feb 22, 2013
• Rare Winter Sighting of Sperm Whales Off N.W. Scotland Linked to Climate Change — See Photos (AOL Travel, 2/22/13). Read more here.
Feb 19, 2013
• Bottlenose Dolphins Call Close Associates by “Name” (Discovery News, 2/19/13). Read more here. Read the full study here.
Feb 18, 2013
• Whale Watchers Off San Diego See Thousands of Dolphins Going Somewhere Fast — See Video (Los Angeles Times, 2/18/13). Read more and see a great photo here.
• Fossils of Four New Whale Species Found during California Highway Dig (Wired, 2/18/13).
Feb 15, 2013
• So Beautiful, So Sad: Wild-Born Kasatka Gives Birth to Another Calf Conceived Via A.I. at SeaWorld San Diego — See Video (Huffington Post, 2/15/13). Read more here. See more video here and here.
• Polar Bears, Human Hunters Kill, Feast on Belugas Trapped in Ice — See Photos (Nunatsiaq Online, 2/14/13). Read more here.
Feb 13, 2013
• Gene Studies Give Scientists Truer Sense of N. Atlantic Humpback Numbers Pre-Whaling (EurekAlert!, 2/13/13).
Feb 12, 2013
• Young Bottlenose of Unclear Origin Gives Birth at Sea World Gold Coast AU (Travel Blackboard, 2/12/13).
Feb 5, 2013
• Speeding Boat Hits Whale, Keeps Going, Whale Breaches Near 2nd Boat — See Photos & Video (NBC/KPNX, 2/5/13).
Feb 4, 2013
• Gray Whales Get Early Start on Mating Off California as Bottlenose Observes — See Video (Orange County Register, 2/4/13).
• Groups Appeal Ruling that Lets Navy Build Training Range in Right Whale Waters (Navy Times, 1/30/13).
• Dolphins & Fishermen Work Cooperatively in Brazil, Have For Decades — See Video (Slate.com, 1/31/13). See more video here
• British Man Finds Hunk of Sperm-Whale Puke, aka Ambergris, Worth $180K — See Video (Huffington Post, 1/31/13).
• Writer Bases Story of Very Old Whale on Evidence Some Whales Can Live to 200+ (Anchorage Daily News, 2/2/13).
• Illustrated Children’s Book Tells Story of Girl Who Realizes Dolphins & Whales Don’t Belong in Tanks (Digital Journal, 2/3/13). Learn more and see the book cover here.
• So Sad: Reporter Promotes Casino’s New Way to Exploit Captive Dolphins— Train Them to Paint, Charge to Participate, Sell Results (Las Vegas Review-Journal, 2/3/13).
Jan 26, 2013
• Three Endangered Right Whales Freed from Fishing Line in ’99, ’08, ’10 Have New Babies (ABC News, 1/24/13).
• Lone Common Dolphin Dies in Brooklyn’s Filthy Gowanus Canal (The New York Times, 1/26/12). Read more here. View hard-to-watch videos here and here.
• Villagers Break No-Kill Pact, Slaughter 1,000 Dolphins in Solomon Islands (Earth Island Journal, 1/25/13). Read more here and here.
Jan 23, 2013
• Whale-Watchers Treated to Rare Sight of Large Group of Migrating Grays (Los Angeles Times, 1/23/13).
• Two Arnoux’s Beaked Whales, Mysterious Oceanic Species, Strand in NZ (The Southland Times, 1/23/13).
Saturday, Jan 19, 2013
• “Blackfish,” Documentary about SeaWorld Orca Tilikum’s Fatal Attack on Trainer, Screening at Sundance (Sundance.org). See a short clip here. Watch a video interview with the filmmaker and learn why she made the film and how it changed her here.
• Two Humpbacks Pay Gentle, Thrilling Visit to Whale-Watchers in Raft — See Video (9News.com, 1/19/13).
Jan 18, 2013
• Sperm Whales Adopt/Tolerate, Bottlenose Dolphin with Spinal Deformity (AAAS Science Now, 1/18/13).
Jan 17, 2013
• Migrating Gray Whale Pauses to Play with Pacific White-Sided Dolphins (Captain Dave’s Dolphin & Whale Safari, 1/15/13). Learn more here. See silent video here. See video of a similar 2010 encounter here..