December 31, 2013
• Bad Weather Hampers Helicopter Rescue of Passengers on Ship Trapped in Antarctic — See New News Report (Euronews, 12/31/13). See images from photographer aboard trapped ship here.
• Bald Eagles Dying in Utah from Eating Grebes Infected with West Nile (USA Today, 12/31/13).
December 30, 2013
• Third Ice-Breaker Fails to Reach Ship Trapped in Antarctic Ice, U.S. Ice-Breaker Last Best Hope — See News Reports (Today.com 12/30/13). See video of ice-breaker plowing through ice, shot from the bridge of the ship here.
• Negatives from Shackleton Antarctic Expedition Survive 100 Years Frozen in Ice (PopPhoto.com, 12/30/13). Read more and see more images here.
• As Planet Warms, Florida Mangroves Migrate North (The New York Times, 12/30/13).
December 29, 2013
• Two Ice-Breakers Fail to Reach Ship Trapped in Antarctic Ice, Third on Way, Rescue Could Cost Millions — See News Report from Rescue Ship (The Sydney Morning Herald, 12/30/13). Read more and see more video reports here.
• Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides to End Under New NYC Mayor De Blasio — See More Images & Video (New York Daily News, 12/29/13)
December 28, 2013
• Study: Smell May Outrank Hearing in Elephant Decision-Making Process (National Geographic, 12/28/13). Find the study here. Learn about Think Elephants Internationl, Inc., here.
• Fireball Lights Up Night Sky Over Iowa — See News Report (CNN, 12/28/13). Read more here.
December 27, 2013
• NASA Releases New Cassini Images of Saturn & Moons — See Images (NASA, 12/27/13). See more images here.
• Nature Is Not Your Friend: Ice-Breaker Sent to Free Research Vessel Trapped in Antarctic Ice Also Gets Trapped in Ice—See News Report (CNN, 12/27/13). Learn more and see more images here.
December 26, 2013
• Health Officials ID New, Severe Tick-Borne Illness in Massachusetts, Main — See News Report (The Boston Globe, 12/26/13).
• Piranha-Like Fish Attack 70 Bathers in Argentina River — See News Report (BBC News, 12/26/13).
December 23, 2013
• Scientists Study Marine Impact of 1 of 10,000 Containers Lost at Sea Each Year — See More Photos (National Geographic, 12/13/13).
• Researchers Tap Liquid Water Reserve Size of West Virginia under Greenland Ice Sheet (Nature World News, 12/23/13). Learn more here. Find the study here.
• Reptile Trade Wants Ban on Importing, Transporting Pythons, Anacondas Overturned (Florida Today, 12/23/13). Learn more here.
December 20, 2013
• First Known Example of Spider Rock Art Found in Egypt (LiveScience.com, 12/20/13). Read more and see more images here.
• Study: Brazilian Leaf-Cutting Ants Clean Selves, Homes, Broods with Antimicrobials Squirted from Butts (Livescience.com 12/20/13).
December 19, 2013
• National Geographic Names 2013 Photo Contest Winners (National Geographic, 12/19/13). See more photos here.
• Researchers Map Genome of Oldest Known Flowering Plant — See More Images (Discovery News, 12/19/13).
December 18, 2013
• DNA from Neanderthal Toe Bone Suggests Neanderthals, Homo Sapiens, Other Early Humans Interbred — See More Images (Los Angeles Times, 12/18/13). Learn more here.
December 17, 2013
• Study: Milky Way Has 4 Arms, Not 2 — See More Images (EarthSky.org, 12/17/13). Learn more here. Read the whole study here.
December 16, 2013
• Study: Neanderthals Cared for One Another, Buried Their Dead (National Geographic, 12/16/13). Learn more here and here. Find the study here.
• Save the Endangered Flesh-Eating Beetle! (National Geographic, 12/16/13).
December 15, 2013
• Thousands of Bonefish Congregate to Spawn — See More Video (Live Science, 12/15/13). Learn more about the Bonefish & Tarpon Trust here.
December 13, 2013
• Annual Audubon Winter Bird Count Starts Tomorrow (LiveScience.com, 12/13/13).
December 12, 2013
• Study: Comb Jelly May Be Mother of Us All (National Geographic, 12/12/13)
• Study: Remains Show Duck-Billed Dinosaur Had Fleshy Comb (Design&Trend 12/12/13).
December 11, 2013
• Study: Monitor Lizard’s One-Way Breathing Older than Dinosaurs (NBC News 12/11/13).
• Universe Could Collapse Any Second! Or Not! (Phys.org 12/12/13).
December 10, 2013
• Rare Orchid Discovered Atop Azores Volcano Could Soon Disappear (Mother Nature News, 12/10/13). Find the study and see many more images here.
• Nature is Not Your Friend: 2 Adults, 4 Children Stranded for 2 Days in Sub-Zero Nevada Wilderness Found Alive — See News Report (CBS News, 12/10/13). See more news reports and learn more about how they survived here and here.
• Some Bats Will Benefit, Others Suffer from Climate Change (National Geographic, 12/10/13)
December 9, 2013
• Scientists Find Strongest Evidence Yet of Past, Possibly Life-Supporting, Freshwater Lake on Mars (The Boston Globe, 12/9/13).
• Study: New Record Cold Set in Antarctica in 2010 (BBC News, 12/9/13).
• Invasive Species of Cold-Tolerant Cockraoches Arrive in NYC (NBC News, 12/9/13).
December 8, 2013
• Study: Major Reserves of Fresh Water Found Under Seabeds (Science Daily, 12/8/13).
December 6, 2013
• Elephants Reunited after 20 Years — Watch Video (KPBS, wimp.com). Thank you to Sharon Gurwitz for passing this along. Learn about the elephant Shirley’s life before the reunion in an earlier segment from the Nature documentary The Urban Elephant here.
• Study: Slow-Maturing Female Lemon Sharks Return to Birth Waters to Breed (BBC News, 12/6/13).
December 5, 2013
• Studies: 2011 Japan Tsunami Caused by Largest Slip in Tectonic Plates Ever Recorded — See Photos (National Geographic, 12/5/13).
December 4, 2013
• 400,000-Year-Old Thigh Bone Yields Oldest Human DNA Yet Sequenced — See Video (BBC News, 12/4/13).
December 3, 2013
• Researchers Capture First Images of Tumor Growth in Sharks (LiveScience.com, 12/3/13).
December 2, 2013
• Mystery of Male Koala’s Giant-Sized Mating Call Solved — Hear Recording (International Business Times, 12/2/13).
• Fatal Shark Attack on Kayak Fisherman Off South Maui 2nd Attack in 3 Days (Maui Times, 12/2/13). Watch an experienced kayak fisherman discuss risks and safety procedures here. See a CNN report on circumstances of the attack and recent increase in attacks here.
December 1, 2013
• One Man’s Encounter with a Baby Sea Lion — See Video (with thanks to Sharon Gurwitz).
November 29, 2013
• Endangered Species Act Turns 40 — See Slideshow (NBC News, 11/29/13).
November 27, 2013
• Black Hole Emits Too Much Light for Size, Puzzles Scientists (The Christian Science Monitor, 11/27/13). Learn more and see more images here and here.
• President Obama Pardons Popcorn (NPR, 11/27/13).
November 20, 2013
• Study: 4.4-Billion-Year-Old Mars Meteorite, Oldest on Earth, Dates to Planet’s Infancy (BBC News, 11/20/13). Find the study here.
• DNA from 24,000-Year-Old Siberian Skeleton Links Early Europeans to Native Americans (The New York Times, 11/21/13). Read more, see more images here.
November 19, 2013
• Study: Largest Structure Yet Observed in Universe Casts Doubt on Big Bang Theory (The Daily Galaxy, 11/19/13).
November 18, 2013
November 17, 2013
• Unseasonable Tornadoes Rip Through Midwest, Destroy Homes, Kill at Least 5 (ABC News, 11/17/13). See more images here. Watch a news report here.
November 15, 2013
• Full Moon Will Infringe on Leonid Meteor Viewing (USA Today, 11/15/13).
November 14, 2013
• New Interactive Tool Charts Global Forest Change, 2000-2012 — See Images (BBC News, 11/14/13). Visit the site here.
• Study: Human/Dog Relationship Started with Ice-Age Wolves in Europe (Register, 11/14/13).
November 11, 2013
• Thank You, GOCE! Satellite Disintegrates on Reentry, Advanced Knowledge of Earth’s Gravity, Oceans, Crust (BBC News, 11/11/13). Learn all about GOCE here.
November 8, 2013
• Typhoon Haiyan Hits Philippines with Record-Setting 195+ MPH Winds — See Photos (National Post, 11/8/13). Read more and see more photos here and here.
• Researchers ID New Hammerhead Species Off South Carolina (RedOrbit.com, 11/8/13). Read more and see more images here and here. See a video report here. Find the study here.
November 7, 2013
• Super Typhoon Haiyan (a.k.a. Yolanda) to Hit Central Philippines Today (The Washington Post, 11/7/13). Read more here.
• Toxic Algae in Drinking Water Kills 100 Elk on Ranch North of Las Vegas (Discovery News, 11/7/13).
November 6, 2013
• Studies: Meteorites Size of Russian Fireball May Be More Common than Thought — See Photos and Video Reports (USA Today, 11/6/13). Watch video report about this meteorite and where it came from here.
• Study: Dinosaurs with T-Rex Traits Roamed Earth 10 Million Years Earlier than Thought — See More Images (BBC News, 11/5/13). Find the whole study and more images here.
November 5, 2013
• Study: Fossil Tooth Belonged to Big, Flesh-Eating Platypus (The Register, 11/5/13).
November 2, 2013
• Partial Eclipse Visible in Eastern U.S. Early A.M. Sunday (USA Today, 11/2/13)
October 31, 2013
• Study: Dog’s Left- or Right-Leaning Tail Wag Reveals Mood, Other Dogs Read Signal —Listen to Interview (BBC News, 10/31/13). Find the study here.
• Researcher Says New Fossil Finds Support Possibility of Ancient, Giant, Kraken-like Sea Creature (LiveScience.com, 10/31/13). See photos here.
• Scientists Gather in FL to Tackle Puzzle of Harmful Algae Blooms Like Dreaded Red Tide (The Tampa Tribune, 10/31/13).
October 30, 2013
• Oldest Known Painting of Volcanic Eruption Linked to Ancient Event in Turkey (LiveScience.com, 10/30/13).
October 29, 2013
• Recovering from Sandy, One Year Later — See Slideshow (CNN, 10/29/13). See slideshow of Sandy sinking of sailing ship HMS Bounty and read survivor’s story here, too.
• Scientists Discover 3 New Vertebrate Species in Australia’s Remote Northeast Cape Melville Range (LiveScience.com, 10/30/13). See more photos here. Read more and see more images here.
October 28, 2013
• 105-Million-Year-Old Track of Flying Birds Oldest Discovered in Australia — See Photos (Mail Online, 10/28/13). Read more here. See more images, listen to or read a transcript of a radio interview with Emery U. researcher Anthony Martin here. Find the full study with all images here.
• Sun Discharges Third Major Flare in Four Days (Space.com, 10/28/13).
October 27, 2013
• National Science Foundation, Two Magazines Announce Comet Ison Photo Contest (Space.com, 10/27/13). Learn more about fast-approaching Comet Ison here and here. Learn more about the contest and see photo submissions here.
October 26, 2013
October 23, 2013
• Invasive Rats Finally Gone, Birds Back, Alaska’s Rat Island is Renamed (Live Science, 10/23/13). See more photos here.
October 22, 2013
• Evidence Suggests Existence of Other Universes Besides Ours (The Daily Galaxy, 10/22/13).
• High School Student Spots “Joe,” Tiniest Duck-Billed Dinosaur Fossil Yet Found (Discovery News, 10/22/13). See video of the fossil airlift here. Read more here and here. See more photos of the discoverer and discovery here. Visit Joe’s website to see more images and learn more about his significance here.
October 21, 2013
October 20, 2013
• Nature Is Not Your Friend: Two Men Out for Day Sail Spend Night Clinging to Flipped Boat — See News Report (ABC News, 10/20/13). Read more here.
October 19, 3013
• Second Oarfish Washes Up on California Beach in One Week (ABC News, 10/19/13). Read more here.
October 17, 2013
• Researcher: Yeti May Be Real, Descendant of Ancient Bear — See News Report (BBC News, 10/17/13). Watch another news report here.
October 16, 2013
• Chunk of Meteor that Exploded Over Chelyabinsk, Russa Retrieved from Lake (BBC News, 10/16/13).
• Study: 5,300-Year-Old Mummified Iceman, Found in Alps, Has Living Relatives (LiveScience, 10/16/13).
• Mosquito Linked to Dengue, Yellow Fever Showing Up in California (SFGate, 10/16/13). Read more here and here.
October 14, 2013
• Moose Populations Dwindling, Scientists Suspect Climate Change — See Sad Video (The New York Times, 10/14/13).
• Invasive American Minks Threaten South American Woodpecker Relative of Extinct Ivory-Billed (LiveScience, 10/14/13).
October 13, 2013
• Snorkelers Find Deep-Dwelling, Deceased Oarfish Off Catalina — See News Report (KTLA.com, 10/13/13).
October 10, 2013
• Study: Elephants Understand Meaning of Human Pointing (Wired, 10/10/13). Find the study here.
October 9, 2013
• Study: Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus May Be Rich in Diamonds (CNN, 10/9/13).
October 7, 2013
• Researchers Discover Huge Channels Under Antarctic Ice (Popular Science, 10/7/13). Find the study and see more images here.
October 4, 2013
• Giant Squid Washes Up in Spain (LiveScience, 10/4/13).
October 1, 2013
• Estimated 10,000 Walruses Bunch on Alaska Beach for Lack of Sea Ice (New York Daily News, 10/1/13).
September 21, 2013
• 50,000 Strays in Detroit? Project Doubts It, Launches Count (The Detroit News, 9/21/13).
September 20, 2013
• Odd-Looking, Endangered Antelope Makes Comeback in Kazakhstan — See Photos (National Geographic, 9/20/13).
• Four New Species of Legless Lizards (Not Snakes) ID’d in California (GMA News Online, 9/20/13).
September 19, 2013
• Twin Storms Cause Flooding, Landslides, Loss of Life in Mexico — See Photos (Winnepeg Free Press, 9/19/20). • Study Explains Ancient “Big Bang” of Life Nonbelievers Say Disproves Evolution (Voice of America, 9/19/13). Read more here and here. Find the study here.
September 18, 2013
• Study: Currents Around Undersea Antarctic Mountains Help Regulate Climate (Science Daily, 9/18/13). Learn more, see more photos here. Find the study here. • NASA Orbiter Creates First Images of Rotating Moon (NASA, Youtube, 9/18/13).
September 16, 2013
September 13, 2013
• Massive Molasses Spill Kills Reefs, Marine Life in Hawaii — See Video (National Geographic, 9/12/13). See news report here.
• Family Dog Alerts Parents to Abusive Babysitter — See News Report (WCSC, 9/13/13).
• New Book Celebrates Old, Illustrated Map of the Sea and its Monsters — See More Images (Wired.com, 9/13/13). Learn more about the book and order a copy here and here.
• Yeast Cell Reproduction May Hold Clues on Slowing Aging of Human Cells (Science World Report, 9/13/13).
September 12, 2013
• Voyager 1 Exits Solar System after 36 Years in Flight — See Photos & Video (CNN, 9/12/13). Read more and see more photos and video here and here.
• Australian Blobfish Voted Mascot of Ugly Animal Preservation Society (USA Today, 9/13/13). Learn more about the blobfish and see more photos here. See video of another ugly-nosed critter here. • Royals William, Kate, Harry Throw Weight Behind Saving Endangered Species (BBC, 9/12/13).
September 11, 2013
• Fossil Find Proves Giant Marine Lizard Was Swift Hunter with Sharklike Tail (Phys.org, 9/11/13). Locate the study here.
September 10, 2013
• Scientists Find Ancient Microbes in Sediment of Lake Sealed under Antarctic Ice (International Business Times, 9/10/13). Read more here. • Family Dog Turns Aggressive with Babysitter, Parents Take Note, Discover Son Being Abused (WTVM 9, 9/10/13).
September 5, 2013
• Earth’s Largest Volcano, One of Biggest Found in Solar System So Far, Discovered in Pacific Ocean (Nature World News, 9/5/13). Read more and see map of location here. Locate the study here.
September 4, 2013
• Highly Venomous, Near-Extinct Viper Has 9 Babies at St. Louis Zoo (International Business Times, 9/4/13).
• Huge Storm Churns Saturn’s Atmosphere, Yields First Proof of Water Ice on Planet — See Video (Space.com, 9/4/13). Learn more here. See more photos of Saturn’s storm here.
September 3, 2013
• Tiny Frog with No Ears Hears Through Its Mouth (Design&Trend, 9/3/13)
September 2, 2013
• Study: Mammals Host Estimated 320,000+ Unidentified Viruses (BBC News, 9/2/13). Learn more here.
September 1, 2013
• Study: Crop Pests Invading Once Pest-Free Cold Regions as Planet Warms (BBC News, 9/2/13). Locate the study here.
August 30, 2013
• New (Third) Species of Walking Shark Discovered in Indonesia — See Video (Los Angeles Times, 8/30/13).
• Cranes Learn Migration Routes with Age, Fly Truest with Oldster in Group (National Geographic, 8/30/13).
August 29, 2013
• Scientists Confirm Discovery-Creation of New Element — See News Report (CNN, 8/29/13) • Scientists Discover World’s Longest Canyon Under Greenland Ice Sheet (NASA 8/29/13). Learn more and see images of the canyon here. See a brief animated video of these images here.
August 28, 2013
• Dengue Fever Hits U.S., Eight Confirmed Cases in Florida (CNN, 8/28/13).
August 27, 2013
• Study: Early North European Hunter-Gatherers Had Domesticated Pigs Early than Thought (National Georgraphic, 8/27/13).
August 25, 2013
• Panda Mei Xiang Gives Birth to Healthy Cub, Stillborn Twin at National Zoo (AFP, 8/25/13). Read more and see another news report here. See more video here and here.
• Croc Grabs Man Who Ignored “Don’t Swim” Signs in River in North Australia (The Independent, 8/25/13). Read more here.
• Greenland Ice Melt Poses Threat to Hudson River Shoreline — Watch News Report (Poughkeepsie NY Journal, 8/25/13) August 24, 2013
• Study: Disappearing Arctic Sea Ice Changing Plant Life, Food Chains, Migratory Routes (Nature World News, 8/24/13).
August 22, 2013
• NYC Parks Dept. Will Release 5,000 Asian Weevils to Combat Invasive Asian Vine — See News Report (NBC New York, 8/22/13). Read more & see more photos here.
August 20, 2013
• Study: Beads Found in Egypt Hammered from Meteorite More Than 5,000 Years Ago (Science News, 8/22/13).
August 19, 2013
• Scientists Attach Crittercam to Endangered Hawaiian Monk Seals to Study Habits, Help Seals & Fishermen Coexist — See Video Report (National Geographic, 8/19/13).
August 15, 2013
• Raccoon-Like Olinguito First New Carnivore Identified in 35 Years (Bloomberg.com, 8/15/13).
August 13, 2013
• Sinkhole Swallows Part of Florida Resort — See Videos (CNN, 8/13/13).
• Researchers ID New Species of Whale Bone-Eating Worm in Arctic — See Slideshow (National Geographic, 8/13/13).
August 12, 2013
• Media Pays Minor Attention to Major Climate Report (Columbia Journalism Review, 8/12/13). Learn more about the report here. Download the full report here.
July 28 – August 10, 2013
GNN is away.
July 26, 2013
• All Species of Seahorses Endangered by Climate Change — See Amazing Slideshow (Weather.com, 7/26/13).
July 25, 2013
• More Awake on Nights of Full Moon? Study Shows It Does Seem to Affect Sleep — See Video Report (BBC News, 7/25/13). Read more here and here.
July 24, 2013
• Methane Released by Melting Arctic Ice Could Speed Global Warming (The Christian Science Monitor, 7/24/13). Read more here and here.
• Louisiana Sues Energy Companies for Destroying Wetlands (The New York Times 7/24/13).
• Watch the Video: Sweet Summer Swimming Holes in Upstate New York (The New York Times, 7/24/13)
July 23, 2013
• Ocean-Color Satellites Help Scientists Study Ocean Composition — See More Photos (Space.com, 7/23/13).
July 22, 2013
• Unable to Reach Target in Joint Exercise, U.S. Navy Dumps Bombs on Great Barrier Reef (Brisbane Times, 7/22/13). See military exercise news report here. Read more here, here and here.
July 21, 2013
• Cincinnati Zoo Tries to Mate Brother-Sister Pair of Disappearing Sumatran Rhino (Houston Chronicle, 7/21/13).
• Already Declining Due to Loss of Prey, Iberian Lynx May be Doomed by Climate Change (Discovery News, 7/21/13).
July 19, 2013
• New Data Syncs with Theory: Once-Lush Mars Lost Thick Atmosphere when Pluto-Sized Object Hit Planet (The Register, 7/19/13). Read more here.
July 13, 2013
• Invasive Lionfish Found Thriving at Surprising Depths Off Fort Lauderdale (LiveScience.com, 7/13/13).
July 12, 2013
• Study: Fracking, Waste-Water Disposal Linked to Increase in Earthquakes Large & Small (Science, 7/12/13).
July 11, 2013
• Astronomers Confirm Color of Planet Bluer than Ours (USA Today, 7/11/13). Learn more here.
July 10, 2013
• Scientists Discover Solar System Has a Tail — Shaped Like 4-Leaf Clover (International Business Times, 7/10/13).
• Iceberg Bigger than Chicago Cracks Off Antarctic Glacier — See Photos (NBC News, 7/10/13). Learn more and see more photos and video here and here.
July 9, 2013
• Divers Discover Ancient Underwater Cypress Forest Off Alabama Coast (Fox News Latino, 7/9/13). Learn more and see photos and video here.
July 5, 2013
• Salmon Fisherman Survives 4-Mile Float Down Frigid Alaska River (Alaska Dispatch, 7/5/13).
July 4, 2013
• Researcher Educates Beach-Going Humans on Shark Behavior, How to Avoid Bites (National Geographic, 7/4/13).
July 2, 2013
• Crazy Ants Invade Southern U.S, Do Major Damage, No Deterrent In Sight (USA Today, 7/2/13). See video here.
July 1, 2013
• Divers Free Sea Turtle Snared in Fishing Line (Hypervocal.com, 7/1/13).
• Researcher Studies Sameness, Difference between Zoo-Born & Orphaned Wild-Born Polar Bear Cubs — See Photos (Alaska Dispatch, 7/1/13).
• Ancient Marsupial Had Weak Bite, Big Incisors that Never Stopped Growing (Livescience.com, 7/1/13). Read more here.
June 30, 2013
• Do Chimps and Our Other Primate Relatives Grieve their Dead? (NYTimes Sunday Magazine, 6/30/13).
• Study of How Birds Learn to Sing Sheds Light on How Human Babies Learn Speech (The New York Times, 6/30/13).
• Warm, Wet Weather Brings Mosquito Misery to Alaska (Alaska Dispatch, 6/30/13) . Read more here.
June 28, 2013
• Storm-Chaser Shares Video of June 2012 Derecho Hitting Jefferson Memorial (The Washington Post, 6/28/13).
• Company’s Plan to Slaughter Horses for Human Consumption Moves Closer to Operation (The New York Times, 6/28/13). Read more here and here.
• Author Argues Kids, Adults Need Contact with Nature, Suffer when Deprived (National Geographic, 6/28/13).
June 26, 2013
June 24, 2013
• Giant Plant from Andes that Kills, Eats Sheep Blooms in RHS Garden after 15 Years (Business Insider, 6/24/13). Read more here and here.
• Supermoon Shots! NatGeo Shares Some of the Best — See Photos (National Geographic). See more photos here, here and here, and almost 300 more here.
June 22, 2013
• 4-Year-Old Beagle-Bassett-Boxer Named Upset Winner of 25th Annual Ugliest Dog Contest — See Photos & Video of the Contenders! (Huffington Post, 6/22/13).
June 21, 2013
• Ancient Maya City Discovered in Yucatan Jungle — See Photos (Reuters, Mercury News, 6/21/13).
June 20, 2013
• Smoke from Farmers’ Land-Clearing Fires in Sumatra Causes Record-Breaking Pollution in Singapore — See Photos & News Report (BBC News, 6/20/13). Read more and see more photos here.
June 19, 2013
• NASA to Photograph Earth from Saturn on July 19 (NDTV.com, 6/19/13).
June 16, 2013
• Nicaraguan Government Approves Chinese-Backed Plan to Build Rival to Panama Canal in Nicaragua — See Photos (Greenwich Citizen, 6/16/13). Read more here and here. Review early canal plan here.
June 14, 2013
• Researcher Hopes to Save Rare South African Parrot by Restoring Crucial Food-Source Tree with Help of Local Communities (National Geographic, 6/14/13).
June 13, 2013
• Study: Warm Ocean Currents Melting Antarctic Ice Shelves from Below (The Christian Science Monitor, 6/13/13). Read more here. Access the study here. See Antarctic Ice slideshow here. • Shark-Fishing Duo Encounter Great White Off Atlantic City — See Video (NJ.com, 6/13/13).
June 12, 2013
• Study: Cheetahs Use Claws, Strength to Accelerate, Stop, Turn at Stunning Speeds — See Video (BBC News, 6/12/13). Listen to NPR news report here. Access study here.
• Dog Distemper Virus Infecting Tigers in Siberia, Sumatra (National Geographic, 6/12/13).
June 10, 2013
• International Agency Issues Report on Rise in CO2, Failure of Nations to Care, Ways to Slow Global Warming Before It’s Too Late (IEEE Spectrum, 6/10/13). Read more here and here. Learn more here. See a longer press-conference discussion here.
June 7, 2013
• Fast-Moving Andrea, First Tropical Storm of Season, Grounds Flights, Poses Flood Threat All Along East Coast (Bloomberg.com, 6/7/13). See ABC News report here.
June 5, 2013
• Dog Rescues Infant from Trash Heap in Thailand (People, 6/5/13).
June 4, 2013
• Higher Ocean Temps, CO2 Levels Killing Florida Keys Corals as Scientists Struggle to Save Them (PBS, 6/4/13). Learn more, see more video here.
June 2, 2013
• 19-Year-Old Swept Over Falls in Yosemite Presumed Dead (Daily Mail, 6/2/13). Read more and see video report here.
May 31, 2013
• Asteroid 1998 QE2 & Moonlike Object Zip Past Earth — See Video Report (CNN.com, 5/31/13).
May 30, 2013
• 1.7-Mile Wide Asteroid Giving Earth Close Pass Tomorrow Has Own Moon — See Images & Video (Space.com, 5/30/13).
• Pro Surfer Offers Tips on Teaching Your Dog to Surf (Examiner.com, 5/30/13). See video of last year’s dog-surfing contest here.
• Study: Fossil Find Helps Explain Evolution of Turtle Shell — See Photos (Examiner.com, 5/30/13). See video recreation of shell evolution here. Access the study here.
• New Coronavirus Has Longer Incubation/Silent Contagion Period than Thought (The Times of India, 5/30/12).
May 29, 2013
• Russian Base Jumper Marks 60th Anniversary of Hillary/Norgay Ascent by Jumping Off North Face at Record 23,688 Feet (USA Today, 5/29/13). See more video here.
• Russian Scientists Take Cloning-Grade Blood, Tissue from Frozen Mammoth (The Times of London, 5/29/13). Read more here. • Shy, Harmless Rat Snakes Fall from Trees in DC Playground, Spook Kids (WJLA.com, 5/29/13). Read more here. May 28, 2013
• Ridding Santa Cruz Island of Feral Pigs, Restoring Bald Eagles, Removing Goldens Leads to Swift Recovery of Island Fox (National Geographic, 5/28/13)
May 27, 2013
• Moss Frozen in Glacier for 400 Years Confounds Scientists by Kicking Back into Life (Edmonton Journal, 5/27/13). Read more and see more photos here. May 26, 2013 • Jupiter, Mercury, Venus Form Triangle in Low Western Sky Tonight (Space.com, 5/26/13). Read more here.
May 25, 2013
• Astronauts aboard Space Station Snap Erupting Alaska Volcano — See Photos (NASA Earth Observatory, 5/18/13). Read more here. Local Airlines Say, No Worries, We’re Still Flying (USA Today, 5/21/13).
• Institute Picks 10 Top New Species from 18,000 Discovered in One Year (The Guardian, 5/24/13). See slideshow of all 10 here. • Massive 8.3 Earthquake in Eastern Russia Felt in Moscow, First Moscow Tremors in 36 Years (The Siberian Times, 5/24/13). Read more here and here. See more video here.
• New Theory: Negotiating Rocky Terrain May Have Pushed Human Ancestors into Walking Upright (AFP, Google.com, 5/24/13). Read more here and here. (york) Find the study here.
• Australia — Ground Zero for Climate Change? (National Geographic, 5/24/13).
May 23, 2013
• 80-Year-Old Japanese Man Becomes Oldest to Summit Everest — See Photos (The Telegraph, 5/23/13).
May 22, 2013
• Ancient Dog Burials Reveal Nature of Early Relationship Between Dogs & Humans — See Photos (Discovery News, 5/22/13). Read the study and see more photos and diagrams here.
May 21, 2013
• Oklahoma Twister Upgraded to 200 MPH EF-5 — See Photos (Chicago Tribune, 5/21/13).
• Florida Couple See Snake by Road, Wrestle, Kill Record-Setting 18′ 8″ Burmese Python (Examiner.com, 5/21/13).
May 20, 2013
• Massive, EF-4 Tornado Hits Oklahoma City — See Video & Live Coverage (Detroit Free Press, 5/20/13).
• Water Disappearing, Forcing Changes in Farming in Plains — See Images & Graphics (The New York Times, 5/20/13).
May 18, 2013
• Gunky, Extinction-Sized Asteroid Will Give Earth Close Pass on May 31 (The Seattle Times, 5/18/13). Learn more here and here.
• First Saudi Woman to Attempt Everest Becomes Youngest Arab to Reach Summit (BBC News, 5/18/13). Read more here.
May 17, 2013
• Meteor Hits Moon, Explosion Visible from Earth, Biggest Ever Recorded (National Geographic, 5/17/13).
• Here Come the Crazy Ants, There Go the Fire Ants — and Your Electronics (Design&Trend.com, 5/17/13). Learn more here. Read the study abstract here.
• Second Active Alaskan Volcano Really Acting Up (USA Today, 5/17/13). • Louisiana Bayou Sinking as Seas Rise, Agency Hopes to Stem, Reverse Land Loss (National Geographic, 5/17/13) May 16, 2013
• Snowlines in Everest Region Melting, Receding (National Geographic, 5/16/13).
May 15, 2013
• Sun Lets Loose with 4 X-Class Flares in 48 Hours (BBC News, 5/15/13)
• NASA Looking at How to Grow Food on Mars in Advance of Planned Human Visit (ScienceWorldReport.com, 5/15/13). Meanwhile…
• Road Crew in Belize Destroys Ancient Maya Pyramid for Road Gravel (National Geographic, 5/15/13).
May 14, 2013
• Blind Nature Lovers Learn to ID Birds by their Calls (CBS News, 5/14/13). Test your auditory ID skills here.
• Rainbow Optics: Double, Yes, Identical, No — Can You Spot the Difference? See Images (Wunderground.com, 5/14/13).
May 13, 2013
• Ted Turner Gets to Keep Wild Bison Calves Over Objections of Wildlife Orgs (AP, ABC News, 5/13/13).
May 11, 2013
• Homes Sinking in Dormant-Volcanic Hilltop Community in California (USA Today 5/11/13).
May 10, 2013
• CO2 Levels Pass 400 PPM, Highest in Human History, Scientists Predict Climate Disaster (The New York Times, 5/10/13). • Watch Glaciers Shrink, Lakes Dry Up, 28 Years of Planetary Change in Seconds in New NASA/USGS/Time/Google Timelapse Project (Time Timelapse, 5/10/13).
May 9, 2013
• American Heart Association: Owning a Pet, Especially a Dog, Can Lower Risk of Heart Disease (MyHealthNewsDaily.com, 5/9/13). Read AHA statement here.
• Granite on Seafloor Off Brazil May, or May Not, Come from Lost Continent (National Geographic, 5/9/13).
May 7, 2013
• Five Climbers Killed, Others Injured, in Sudden Eruption of Near-Perfect-Cone Mayon Volcano in Philippines (Sky News, 5/7/13). See video here.
• Certain Words Like “Thou,” Common to All Language Families, Go Back to Ice Age (Wired, 5/7/13). Read more here. See the list of 23 “ultraconserved words” and hear them pronounced in different languages here.
May 5, 2013
• Here Come the Cicadas! Brood II to Hatch by the Billions for First Time in 17 Years – See Slideshow (NBC News Cosmic Log, 5/5/13). Read more here.
May 2, 2013
• NASA Time-Lapse Video Shows 60 Years of Global Warming in 13 Seconds (ClimateCentral.org, 5/2/13). • New Zealand Fishermen Fight Big Mako for Swordfish Catch (New Zealand 3 News, 5/5/23)
May 1, 2013
• Antarctic Ice Shrinking and Growing Due to Climate Change (PBS NewsHour, 5/1/13).
• Sand Tiger Shark Embryos Battle It Out, Eat Each Other in Womb (The Washington Post, 5/1/13). Read the study here.
April 29, 2013
• Cassini Spacecraft Relays Images of Giant Hurricane at Saturn’s North Pole – See Photos & Video (NASA, 4/29/13). Read more and see a news report here.
• Nature Lover Videos Rare Ice-Needle Cascade on Medicine Lake, MN (DEMIgirlie, 4/29/13). See another, longer video here.
April 26, 2013
• Scientists Find Fly with Big Genital Forceps in Brazil, Invisibly Tiny Fly in Costa Rica – See Photos (Scientific American, 4/26/13). Read the studies and see more images here (Forcepsfly) and here (Fairyfly). • Rare Blue Diamond Sells for Record Price, Rare Pink Diamond Unearthed (GeoBeatsNews, 4/26/13). Read more here. See images of blue diamond and other rare gems here.
• San Diego Weighs Ban on Retail Sale of Dogs, Cats, Rabbits (RanchoBernardo-4SRanchPatch.com).
April 25, 2013
• Ocean Temps Off Northeast Coast Highest in 150 Years (Northeast Fisheries Science Center, 4/25/13). Read more here.
April 24, 2013
• Lily Tomlin HBO Doc Wants Use of Elephants in Zoos, Circuses to End (AP, 4/24/13). Learn more here.
April 23, 2013
April 22, 2013
• Earth Day Gift from WCS: Camera Trap Video of Wild Elephants in Cambodia (Wildlife Conservation Society, 4/22/13). Learn more and see more photos and video here.
April 19, 2013
• Study: At Least One Dinosaur Sat on Eggs — Like Birds Do (LiveScience.com, 4/19/13).
April 18, 2013
• Seismograph Records Reveal: Hurricane Sandy Shook the Earth (U of Utah News, 4/18/13). See animation of Sandy’s earthshaking effects here.
April 17, 2013
• Genome of Fleshy-Finned, Living-Fossil Fish May Reveal How Fish Came to Land, Developed Limbs (The New York Times, 4/17/13).
• Photographer Captures Stunning Beauty of Portuguese Man o’ War — See Images (Wired.com, 4/17/13). Learn more about the photographer and his subjects and see more images here.
April 15, 2013
• New Law in Puerto Rico Keeps Developers Away from Leatherback Nesting Area (RedOrbit.com, 4/15/13). Read more and view slideshow here.
April 14, 2013
• Maine Lobster Industry Worried Warm Ocean Temps Will Cause Another Early Glut, Falling Prices (Portland Press Herald, 4/14/13). Read more here.
April 12, 2013
• Ice-Free Summers Coming to the Arctic . . . Soon (NOAA, 4/12/13)
• Cherry Blossoms Mean More than Just Beauty in Japan — See Photos & Videos (PBS Newshour, 4/12/13).
April 10, 2013
• Sea Lion Pups Starving, Dying in California, Scientists Don’t Know Why (The Christian Science Monitor, 4/10/13). See slideshow of other marine-mammal rescues here.
• Chinese Fishing Vessel Goes Aground on Protected Reef in Philippines (Voice of America, 4/10/13).
• Study: Watching Great Whites Munch on Dead Whales Offers Glimpse of Great White Social Structure, Feeding Behavior (Science Daily, 4/10/13). Read the study, see more images here.
• Dinosaur Eggshell, Embryo Remains Found in China Among Oldest Ever Discovered, Date Back 190 Million Years (Discovery News, 4/10/13). April 6, 2013
• Red Tide Killing Florida’s Endangered Manatees (NYTimes, 4/6/13).
April 4, 2013
• Pegasus Pipeline Rupture Raises Concerns: Keystone Rupture Would Be How Much Worse? (National Geographic, 4/4/13).
• Very Lucky Lost Hikers Found Separately in Southern California (CBS News, 4/4/13).
April 2, 2013
• NASA Scientist Resigns to Sue Fed, States for Not Acting to Slow Global Warming (Fox News, 4/2/13). Read more here.
• Study: Air Pollution in China Contributed to 1.2 Million Deaths Since 2010 (KpopStarz.com, 4/1/13). • Very Large Tarantula, Possibly New Species, Discovered in Sri Lanka (Wired, 4/2/13).
April 1, 2013
• Pattycake, First Gorilla Born in NYC, Dies at Bronx Zoo at Age 40 – See Baby Photo (NY Daily News, 4/1/13).
March 31, 2013
• Exxon Pipeline Bursts, Sends Crude Gushing through Arkansas Streets – See Photos (Washington Post, 3/31/13).
• Global Warming Means Greener Arctic Means More Global Warming (Smithsonian, 3/31/13). Read more here.
March 29, 2013
• Study Says Fracking Caused Worst Earthquake Ever to Hit Oklahoma (NatGeo, 3/29/13).
• Scientist Solves Mystery of Fairy Circles in SW Africa: It’s Termites! (Los Angeles Times, 3/29/13). See more Fair Circles here. Read more here.
• Cyro, the Robojelly, Can Patrol Oceans Under Own Power (Nature World News, 3/29/13). See video report here.
March 28, 2013
• Giant Storm Spans Atlantic, West to East, South to North – See More Images (Washington Post, 3/28/13).
• Beekeepers Blame New Pesticide for Worst Bee Die-Off Yet – See More Images & Video (NYTimes, 3/28/13).
• Green Meteorite Found in Morocco May Be First Ever from Mercury (Space.com, 3/28/13).
March 27, 2013
• Study Shows Humans Shift into Calm, Attentive Mental States in Nature (NYTimes, 3/27/13).
• Researchers Find Evidence Neaderthals, Homo Sapiens Interbred (Discovery News, 3/27/13).
• Sea Slug Survival Strategy: Block Sight and Smell! (Discovery News, 3/27/13).
• Extinction of Giant, Dinosaur-Eating Crocs Allowed Dinosaurs to Thrive (Discovery News, 3/26/13). March 26, 2013
• Two-Headed Fetus Taken from Female Bull Shark in Gulf of Mexico (Nat Geo, 3/26/13).
• Hunters Shoot Mother Polar Bear, Cub to Move from Alaska to NY (Discovery News, 3/26/13).
• Hiking with Owner, Alert Dog Finds Man Trapped in Rocks for Days (New York Daily News, 3/26/13).
• Hundreds to Thousands of Bird Species Wiped Out by Humans in Pacific (Science World Report, 3/26/13).
March 25, 2013
• Where’s Edge of Solar System & Has Voyager Reached It? Scientists Debate (Discovery News 3/25/13).
March 23, 2013
• New Studies Show Many Animals Smarter Than Humans Think (The Wall Street Journal, 3/22/13).
• Baby Rothschild Giraffe, Endangered Species, Born in CT, Stands for First Time (LEO Zoological Conservation Center, 3/23/13). Read more here. See more photos and read more here.
March 22, 2013
• Experts Say Rock that Hit Earth, Killed Dinosaurs, Was Comet, Not Asteroid (CNET, 3/22/13). Read more here.
• Study: Huge Volcanic Eruptions Wiped Out Species, Paved Way for Dinosaurs (CBC News, 3/22/13).
March 21, 2013
• Demand from Rich Chinese Supports American Mink Farming (AP, 3/21/13).
March 19, 2013
• New Pope Francis Urges Humans to Protect Nature (AP, 3/19/13).
• Chimps Figure Out Who Needs What Tool, Share as Needed to Get Job Done (Live Science, 3/19/13). Read more here. • New York Times Doing Less Environmental Reporting (Columbia Journalism Review, 3/19/13).
March 16, 2013
• Conservation Can Work: NRDC Finds Protected Fish Stocks Rebounding (NYTimes, 3/15/13). Read the full NRDC report here.
March 15, 3013
• New Study Counts Billions of Habitable-Zone Planets Near Earth (University Today, 3/15/13).
March 14, 2013
March 12, 2013
• Australia Acts to Prevent Invasion of Giant African Snail Already in Florida (Christian Science Monitor, 3/12/13). Read more here.
March 11, 2013
• Thousands of Dead Pigs Float Down River in China — See Video (BBC, 3/11/13). Read more here, here, here, and here.
March 10, 2013
• Comet This Week! Look West after Sunset to See Comet Pan-STARRS — See Photos, Graphics & Video (Space.com, 3/10/13). See more photos here.
March 7, 2013
• Summer Rains Could Cause Giant Mosquito Problem in S. Florida (Orlando Sentinel, 3/5/13). Read more here.
• Thousands of Sharks Swarm off Palm Beach in Annual Spring Migration — See Video (NewsAroundU, YouTube, 3/7/13). See more video here, here and here.
March 5, 2013
• Scientists Find Fossil Evidence that Giant Camel Once Roamed Arctic (Discovery News, 3/5/13). Read the journal article and view map and fossils here.
March 3, 2013
• Prime Minister of Thailand Promises to End Legal Ivory Trade (BBC News, 3/3/13)
Feb 27, 2013
• Nature’s Beautiful Surprises: Snow Rollers & Punch-Hole Clouds — See Photos (wunderground.com, 2/27/13).
Feb 25, 2013
• Tumbleweeds Smother Home in Midland, Texas — See Video Report (NewsWest9, 2/25/13).
Feb 21, 2013
• Giant Goldfish Becoming Big Problem in Lake Tahoe — See Photos & Video (RGJ.com, 2/21/13). See more video here. Feb 9, 2013
• Winter Storm Nemo Dumps Snow, Knocks Out Power in N.E. — See Photos (Time, 2/8/13). See more photos here and here.
Feb 8, 2013
• And Here Comes Asteroid 2012 DA14 on Feb 15! See Video (CNN, 2/7/13).
Feb 7, 2013
• Again? N.E. Could Get Hit by “Historic Nor’easter”/Winter Hurricane (wunderground.com, 2/7/13). Read more here.
• Northern Lights Put on Show Over Alaska’s Denali National Park (Our Amazing Planet, 2/4/13). Watch a 5-minute, time-lapse movie with music of 2012 images here, or watch it on full screen (slower loading but more impressive) here. • Starlings Return to Israel, Put on Aerial Show Called Murmuration (NTDTV, 1/28/13). See photo here.
Feb 6, 2013
• 8.0 Quake Hits Solomons, Triggers Tsunamis, Aftershocks, Six Die — See Video (The Australian, 2/6/13). Read more, see photos and video and listen to audio reports here. • Northeast May/May Not Get Hit by “Potential Historic Winter Storm” (The Washington Post, 2/6/13). Read more here and here.
• Komodo Dragon Enters National Park Office, Attacks Two People (CBS News, 2/6/13). • Roaches Like to Keep Their Antennae Clean — See Video! (Science Now, 2/4/13). • Wild Albatross Hatches Chick at Age 62 — See Photo (The Washington Post, 2/5/13). • U. of Delaware Program Studies Impact of Invasive Lionfish in Caymans (University of Delaware).
Jan 26, 2013
• Thousands of Crocs, Bred for Fashion, Escape during South African Floods — See Video (Euronews.com, 1/25/13). Watch a follow-up report here. See recapture video here. • Brits Stage Poison Attack on Rats Overrunning Antarctic Island — See Video (The Wall Street Journal, 1/23/13). • Poop-Ball-Rolling Dung Beetles Use Stars to Navigate, a First for Bugs (National Geographic, 1/24/12). • Coyotes Chase Man & Dogs into House, Keep Coming, Crash Door — See News Report (NBC News, 1/26/13). • Differences in Genes Linked to Brain, Digestive Functions Hint at How Wolves Became Dogs (Sky News, 1/24/13). • New Dog-Owner Trend: Swim Lessons for Fido — See News Report (The Wall Street Journal, 1/25/13).
Jan 23, 2013
• NIH Recommends Almost All Research Chimps Go to Sanctuaries (The New York Times, 1/23/13). Read the NIH report here. Read more here and here. read related stories and view portraits with bios of retired research chimps here. • 140 Nations, Including U.S., Adopt Treaty to Cut Mercury Pollution (AP, 1/19/13). • Captured Baby Elephants Bound for China Zoo Returned to Wild (AP, The Washington Post, 1/21/13). • Swimmer Pushes Shark to Sea — Watch Video Below (ITN News, 1/20/13).
Jan 20, 2013
• Chimps, Like Humans, Know How to Share — When They Must (NBC News.com, 1/14/13). See video here.
• Ancient Marine Creature Looked Like a Flower — See Image (CBS News 1/17/13).
For the Birds
• Big Winter Birding Festival Coming Up in Minnesota (The New York Times, 1/20/13).
• Documentary By, About Central Park Bird-Watchers in NYC Theater, on HBO (The Christian Science Monitor, 1/18/13). Learn more and see a clip here.
Nature Is Not Your Friend
• Woman Buried in Avalanche while Skiing, Boyfriend Saves Her (AP, 1/17/13). Read more here.
• Ship Carrying High School Students to Antarctic Hit by Storm, 30-Foot Wave (The New York Times, 1/17/13).
• 2013 Could be Worse Drought Year for U.S. Farmers than 2012, and 2012 was Bad (Discovery News, 1/15/13).
• Water Levels in Two Great Lakes Hit Record Lows, Still Falling (CNN, 1/17/13).
• Warmer U.S. Springs Bringing Earlier Spring Flowers (GlobalPost, 1/17/13).
• Sierra Club Presses Obama to Keep 2nd Term Promise to Act on Climate Change (The Hill, 1/14/13).
Our Poor Planet
• EPA Tells Industry to Cut Emissions Causing Wilderness Haze, Health Risks (San Francisco Chronicle, 1/17/13). Read more here.
• EPA Dropped Reports on Fracking, Poisoned Groundwater under Industry, GOP Pressure (USA Today, 1/16/13).
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Destroys Wetland, Wildlife Preserve without Permission (Los Angeles Times, 1/17/13).
• NOAA Report Says Mexican Fishing Nets Kill Too Many Loggerheads, Cites Other Countries for Other Crimes (U.S. News & World Report, 1/14/13). • Thousands of Fish Wash Up Dead on North Carolina Beach — See Photos & Video (NBC News, 1/17/13) • Higher Temps, Less Rain Wiping Out Hawaii’s Majestic Silversword Plant (Scientific American, 1/17/13). • Bat-Killing Fungus Spreads from Canada, Northern U.S. to Kentucky (Los Angeles Times, 1/16/13).
• Cassini Orbiter Tracks Biggest Storm Ever Seen on Saturn (Scientific American, 1/17/13).
• New Images from Mars Add to Evidence Planet was Once Wet — See Photo (The Christian Science Monitor, 1/15/13). Read more and see more images here.
• NASA Getting Better at Tracking Asteroids that Could Hit Us (CBS News, 1/16/13).
People & Animals
• Some See Cruelty in Spanish Custom of Riding Horses through Fire (AlJazeeraEnglish, 1/17/13). • Ferret-Lover Wants Pet-Owning Legalized in California (Los Angeles Times 1/14/1