• PETA Members/SeaWorld Stockholders Push SeaWorld to Move Captive Orcas to Coastal Sanctuaries (Broward/Palm Beach New Times, 12/29/14).
• U. Nebraska Football Team Visits SeaWorld San Diego (KMTV, 12/26/14).
• SeaWorld Orlando Sea Lion Show on Hiatus, Long-Employed Mimes Laid Off (Orlando Sentinel, 12/16/14).
• Can SeaWorld Survive? And, If So, How? (U-T San Diego, 12/13/14).
• SeaWorld Lays Off 300+ Employees (U-T San Diego, 12/12/14). Read more here and here.
• SeaWorld CEO Jim Atchison Steps Down after Very Bad Year — See News Report (Orlando Sentinel, 12/11/14). Read more here, here, here, here and here.
• Customer Sues SeaWorld for Renewing Pass, Charging Card without Permission (AP, 10 News, 12/9/14).
• 6 Ways SeaWorld Can Make Money, Help Orcas without Keeping Them Captive (Care 2, 12/7/14).
• SeaWorld San Antonio Gets Positive Press for Manatee Rescue & Rehab (My San Antonio, 12/5/14).
• Miami Seaquarium Cancels Orca Shows, Aging Lolita Still in Tiny Tank — See Video of her Living Conditions (The Dodo, 12/5/14).
• Captive Orca Forced to Conceive at Age 8 Gives Birth at SeaWorld San Diego— See Video (U-T San Diego, 12/2/14). Read more here and here. See video report here.
• SeaWorld Still Pretending Captivity Contributes to Orca Science, Conservation (Mother Jones, Nov-Dec /2014).
• Comedian Fined for “SeaWorld Sucks” Traffic-Sign Stunt, PETA Says “We’ll Pay“ (Los Angeles Times, 12/2/14). See video of stunt operation here.
• SeaWorld Announces Plans to Expand Orca, Dolphin Sea Lion Tanks (My San Antonio, 12/1/14).
• SeaWorld Orlando Invites High School Journalism Students to Learn about, Help Sell Captivity (Orlando Sentinel, 11/30/14).
• Protesters Demonstrate Outside SeaWorld San Diego — See Photo (Times of San Diego, 11/30/14).
• PETA Demonstrators Breach Barriers to Protest SeaWorld Float in Macy’s T-Day Parade (Broward/Palm Beach New Times, 11/28/14).
• PETA Stages Nude Bathtub Demonstration to Protest SeaWorld Float in Macy’s T’Day Parade — See Video (Mashable, 11/25/14).
• SeaWorld San Antonio Rescues Sick Florida Manatee from Houston Canal (San Antonio Business Journal, 11/25/14). See more photos here.
• SeaWorld Orlando, Busch Gardens Offer Black Friday Discounts (WFLA News Channel 8, 11/24/14).
• SeaWorld San Diego Staffers Harassed Trying to Help Sick Sea Lion Pup — See News Report (KTLA 5, 11/23/14)
• Panama Jack Sunscreen Ends SeaWorld Partnership “for Business Reasons” (Orlando Sentinel, 11/21/14).
• Profile: SeaWorld CEO Jim Atchison Still Defending Captivity (Bloomberg Businessweek, 11/20/14).
• Protestors Will Paint Bodies Like Orcas, Crowd Naked in Bathtub to Protest SeaWorld Float in Macy’s T’Day Parade (Reuters, 11/19/14).
• Busch Garden Parks Also Feeling Effects of Blackfish (Tampa Bay Times, 11/17/14).
• SeaWorld Stock Down 50% in 2014 (New York Post, 11/16/14).
• Vote for Mayor of Vancouver is Vote For or Against Captivity (InvestorIdeas.com, 11/13/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Attendance, Profits, Stock All Down in 3rd Quarter (U-T San Diego, 11/12/14). Read more here.
• Adorable Otter Pup Learns to Float at Shedd Aquarium — See Video (National Geographic, 11/12/14). See more video here.
• TV Chef Gets Heat for Offering SeaWorld Visit as Prize (The Wrap, 11/6/14).
• Ric O’Barry Talks about Taiji, The Cove, SeaWorld, Future of Captivity — See Video (YouTube, InvestoryIdeas.com, 11/5/14).
• Rescued Sea Lion Dies at SeaWorld San Diego (U-T San Diego, 10/30/14).
• Target of Protests Last Year, SeaWorld Skipping Rose Parade This Year (LA Weekly, 10/29/14).
• SeaWorld Discontinues Free Passes for Escorts of Disabled Children (U-T San Diego, 10/29/14).
• Russia Has Been Holding Two Young Orcas, Captured in Sea of Okhotsk, in Substandard Facility for a Year — See Photos and Video (The Dodo, 10/28/14). Read more here, here, here and here. See more photos and video here.
• SeaWorld San Diego Captures, Treats, Rehabs Gaffed Sea Lion — See Photos & Video (ABC 10 News, 10/26/14).
• Study: Breathalyzer May Offer Less Invasive Way to Monitor Captive/ Captured Dolphin Health (Science AAAS, 10/24/14).
• Teachers at Prize-Winning FL School District Will Celebrate at SeaWorld Orlando (Orlando Sentinel, 10/24/14).
• SeaWorld San Antonio Announces Plans to Expand Dolphin, Orca Habitats (San Antonio News-Express, 10/24/14). Read more here and here.
• San Francisco Bans Captivity, Says Cetaceans Have Right to Live Free (The Dodo, 10/22/14).
• PETA Charges SeaWorld San Diego with Animal Mistreatment— See News Report…. (ABC 10 News, 10/21/14).
• … SeaWorld Vet Counters, “We’re the True Animal Advocates” (U-T San Diego, 10/21/14).
• Another Dolphin Born into Captivity at SeaWorld San Diego (Daily News, 10/19/14).
• Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin America Takes Baby Step Away from SeaWorld (Bloomberg, 10/14/14). Read more here and here.
• SeaWorld President: “We’re the Real Friends of Animals” (Times of San Diego, 10/10/14).
• SeaWorld Replaces Dead Polar Bears with Harbor Seals (Orlando Sentinel, 10/8/14).
• SeaWorld Study: Captive Orcas Kept with Dolphins Mimic Dolphin Sounds (MailOnline 10/7/14).
• San Diego in SeaWorld’s Pocket: What Residents Need to Know (San Diego Free Press, 10/3/14).
• SeaWorld Tries to Win Hearts, Boost Stock Prices with TV Shows (MarketWatch, 10/2/14).
• Captive Study: Captive Bottlenose Use Water Flow to Manipulate Objects (Marmam, 10/2/14). Access full study and see video footage here.
• SeaWorld Rescues, Rehabs, Releases 800+ Lb Male Manatee (The St. Augustine Record, 9/30/14).
• Sir Richard Branson Sides with SeaWorld and Captive Display Industry (The Guardian, 9/30/14). Read more here.
• PETA Starts Petition Drive: Tell SeaWorld to Stop Keeping Dolphins and Whales in Tanks (PETA).
• SeaWorld Orlando Unlikely to Replace Last 2 Polar Bears (Orlando Sentinel, 9/26/14).
• Is Captivity Coming to an End? (The Guardian, 9/12/14). Read more here. Listen to an NPR “All Things Considered” discussion here.
• Shareholders Sue SeaWorld for Downplaying Anti-Captivity Doc’s Impact (The Hollywood Reporter, 9/10/14). Read more here and here.
• Orlando Airport Nixes Anti-SeaWorld Display Ad — See Video Report (Orlando Sentinel, 9/9/14).
• “SeaWorld Sucks” Sign Prankster Steve-O Stands By His Actions —See Video Report (TMZ, 9/5/14). Read more here. See Steve-O’s prank video here.
• Seattle Seahawks Cancel Fan Appreciation Day at SeaWorld San Diego (Seattle P.I. 9/3/14).
• SeaWorld Argues Back at Critics (on Some Issues) on Blog (Orlando Sentinel, 8/29/14).
• Investors Advised to Sell SeaWorld Stock (Zacks, 8/28/14).
• PETA Buys Sinking SeaWorld Stock (Bustle.com, 8/26/14).
• Reality-Show Prankster Admits Altering SeaWorld Highway Sign to Make Anti-SeaWorld Statement (NBC 7 San Diego, 8/21/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Drops Plans to Take OSHA’s “No Trainers Near Orcas” Ruling to Supreme Court (Orlando Sentinel 8/19/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Keeps Up Lobbying, Political Spending Amidst Increased Congressional Scrutiny (The Washington Post, 8/19/14).
• SeaWorld Announces Plans to Expand Orca Tanks — See News Report (The Wall Street Journal, 8/15/14). Read more here, here, here and here. See more video reports here and here.
• Critics Dismiss SeaWorld Plans, Say a Bigger Prison is Still a Prison (The Independent, 8/15/14). Read more here and here.
• SeaWorld Stocks, Credit Rating Plunge (Chicago Tribune, 8/14/14). Read more here and here.
• SeaWorld Admits Blackfish Documentary Has Hurt Business (PRNewser, 8/13/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld’s Last Captive Polar Bear Dies at Age 24 (News 4 JAX, 8/1/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld-Southwest Airlines Part Ways after 25 Years — See News Report (The Dallas Morning News, 7/31/14). Read more here.
• Can Whales Be Happy in Tanks? (CBC News, 7/31/14).
• Vancouver Aquarium Captivity Program Topic of Special Park Board Meeting — See News Report, Meeting Photos & Tweets, Videos, Presentations (CBC News, 7/26/14)
• SeaWorld Orlando Ending Long-Running Performing Seal Show (Click Orlando, 7/25/14).
• PETA Debuts 2nd, Harder-Hitting, Anti-SeaWorld Ad in San Diego Airport — See News Report (Fox 5 San Diego, 7/22/14).
• SeaWorld Feeling the Pressure, Pressure Coming from All Sides (The Wall Street Journal, 7/19/14).
• SeaWorld Stock Downgraded to “Underperforming“ (Ticket Report, 7/18/14).
• SeaWorld Gets More Digitally Sophisticated (San Antonio Business Journal, 7/17/14).
• Vancouver Park Board to Review Aquarium Policy of Keeping Captive Dolphins & Whales (CBC News 10, 7/15/14). Read more here. Read a history of the aquarium and see videos here.
• Vancouver Aquarium Rescues Stranded False Killer Whale Calf — See Video Report (News 1130, 7/15/14)
• San Diego Resident Petitions to Stop Summer Fireworks at SeaWorld — See News Report (ABC 10 News, 7/10/14). Learn more and find the petition here.
• Wildborn, former Navy Beluga Ruby Dies at 38 at SeaWorld San Diego (Fox 5 San Diego, 7/4/14). See a sad video of beluga captive training here.
• SeaWorld Tries to Boost Flagging Ticket Sales via Groupon (The Motley Fool, 7/3/14).
• Humans Get Taste of Captivity when SeaWorld San Diego Ride Malfunctions (Outside, 6/30/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld “Captive Research” Doesn’t Stand Up to Scrutiny (Slate, 6/17/14).
• Opinion: Why Vancouver Aquarium Should Stop Keeping Dolphins and Whales in Captivity (Straight.com, 6/13/14).
• Legislators Seek Update of 20-Year-Old Regulations on Dolphin/Whale Captivity (Los Angeles Times, 6/13/14).
• SeaWorlds, Busch Gardens Attendance Down in 2013 (Tampa Bay Times, 6/10/13). Read more here.
• SeaWorld San Diego and Critics Debate — Read the Highlights (Voice of San Diego, 6/6/14). Watch a video of the full discussion here. Read more SeaWorld coverage here.
• SeaWorld Shuffles Belugas as Advocates Urge Airlines, Travel Agencies to Drop Vacation Packages (Telegraph, 6/6/14). Learn more here and here.
• Richard Branson Holds Meeting in Miami to Explore Captivity Question (The Dodo, 6/5/14). Read Branson tweets and Virgin post-meeting statement here. Learn more here and here.
• Dr. Jane Goodall: Dolphin and Whale Captivity Must End (CTV News 5/28/14). Read more and see a news report here.
• Anti-SeaWorld Activist Alters Highway Sign — See News Report (Fox 5 San Diego, 5/25/14). Read more here.
• Facing Suit, San Diego Airport Allows Anti-SeaWorld Ad — See News Report (NBC 7 San Diego, 5/22/14). Learn more here and here. See another news report here.
• Student Travel Service Adopts, Rescinds, Reinstates Ban on SeaWorld Packages (The Guardian, 5/22/14).
• SeaWorld Raises Ticket Prices, Pushes Advanced Purchase to Make Up for Dip in Sales (Orlando Sentinel, 5/20/14).
• SeaWorld Ticket Sales Are Down (Desert News, 5/10/14).
• Jason Biggs Does Anti-SeaWorld Spot for PETA (Buzzfeed.com, 5/15/14). Learn more here.
• National Aquarium Considers Ending Dolphin Display (The Baltimore Sun, 5/14/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Blames Easter Holiday for Low Attendance (Los Angeles Times, 5/14/14).
• SeaWorld Announces Plans for Middle East Park as U.S. Ticket Sales, Earnings Slump (Orlando Sentinel, 5/14/14).
• SeaWorld Increases Stockholder Dividends (Fox Business, 5/13/14).
• Anti-Captivity Film, Legislative Push Put Squeeze on SeaWorld (Orange County Register, 5/8/14).
• Philip Hoare, author of Leviathan, or The Whale, Examines Morality of Using Dolphins in War (The New York Times 5/6/14).
• Marineland St. Augustine Euthanizes Captive-Born Nellie at Age 61 (Bay News 9, 5/2/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld San Diego Impregnates Captve-Born Orca via A.I. Before She Turns Nine (Reuters, Scientific American, 4/29/14).
• SeaWorld Debuts New Trainer Safety Vest — See Photos and News Report (ClickOrlando.com, 4/28/14). See another news report here.
• SeaWorld Recovering from Blackfish Effect, but Still Suffering (Forbes 2/24/14).
• News Spread in U.S. and Abroad: SeaWorld Attendance is Down — See News Report (The Independent, 4/19/14). See news report here.
• Science SeaWorld’s Way: Researcher Studies How Young Males Adapt when SeaWorld Shifts Captives Around (KPBS.org, 4/17/14).
• Vancouver Councillor, Mayor Want to End Captivity, Differ on How (Global News CA 4/16/14)
• SeaWorld Keeps Fighting to Save Franchise (New York Daily News, 4/14/14)
• SeaWorld Orlando Finishes Work on Shamu Stadium, Reopens Orca Show (ABC News, 4/13/14).
• SeaWorld Loses Fight to Overturn OSHA Citations after Trainer Death — See News Report (Click Orlando, 4/11/14). Read more here, here, here and here.
• California Bill to End Captive, Performing Orcas Gets Shelved—for Now (U-T San Diego, 4/8/14). Read more here. Catch up with the push, pull, up and down, will it pass or die here, here, here, here and here. See slide show here.
• Taken in 1970 from a Family She Could Go Back to, Will Lolita Ever Be Freed? (Salon, 4/6/14).
• SeaWorld Owner Sells 15 Million Shares as Parks Report 13 Percent Drop in Attendance (Los Angeles Times, 4/3/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld San Diego Turns 50, It All Started There (The Atlantic, 3/21/14).
- San Diego City Council Declares March “SeaWorld San Diego Month“ (Los Angeles Times, 3/18).
- SeaWorld Turns 50 as Attitudes toward Captivity Shift (USA Today, 3/21/14).
- SeaWorld a Candidate for “Worst Company of the Year“ (Seattle PI, 3/19/14)
• SeaWorld 4th Quarter Report: Profits Up, Attendance Down (Los Angeles Times, 3/13/14).
• SeaWorld Plans Global Expansion (Orlando Business Journal, 3/19/14).
• California Assemblyman Proposes State Ban on Captive, Performing Orcas (U-T San Diego, 3/7/14). Learn more here, here, here and here.
• Bindi Irwin to Shill for SeaWorld (The Guardian, 3/6/14). Read more here and here.
• WDC to Richard Branson: End SeaWorld-Virgin Holiday Packages (Telegraph 2/27/14). Read more here.
• SeaWorld Accuses Investigator Who Probed Trainer Death of Unethical Conduct (The New York Times, 2/27/14). Learn more, see news report here.
• Dolphin Bites Girl at SeaWorld San Antonio (San Antonio Express-News, 2/26/14). See news report here.
• Voice of San Diego Brings Readers Up to Speed on SeaWorld v. Blackfish — See Links to Stories and Videos (Voice of San Diego, 2/25/14)
• SeaWorld Disputes Claims Made in Blackfish Documentary (San Antonio Express-News 2/17/14).
• Protesters Demonstrate Against SeaWorld San Diego, Southwest Airline Link to Park — See News Report (ABC 10 News, 2/16/14).
• Local Media Does Disheartening Puff Piece on Captive-Born Orca’s First Birthday (NBC 7 San Diego, 2/15/14). Learn more about this baby’s conception via artificial insemination with sperm from a captured male orca being held in substandard conditions in Argentina here — be sure to scroll down and watch the video. Learn more here and here.
• SeaWorld Releases Last of 24 Rehabbed Sea Turtles (Bay News 9, 2/14/14)
• SeaWorld Trainer Defends Captivity in Industry Video, Blackfish Director and Ex-Trainer Featured in Film Respond (ABC 10 News, 2/12.14). Read other responses to pro-captivity SeaWorld video here.
• Joan Jett Tells SeaWorld, Stop Blasting Captive Orcas with My Music — See Slide Show of Acts that Cancelled SeaWorld Concert (San Antonio Express-News, 2/11/14).
• Eight Orcas Captured in Russia, Two Now in Moscow, Two Sent to China, None Going to Sochi, Four Missing (Earth Island Journal, 2/4/14). Learn more here and here.
- Country Singer, Comedian Fill SeaWorld Concert Slots Left Open by Cancellations (Orlando Sentinel, 2/5/14)
• SeaWorld to Block Shareholder Vote on Retiring Captive Orcas to Coastal Sanctuaries (Orlando Sentinel, 2/3/14).
• Alan Jackson, Kid Rock Perform to Capacity Crowds at SeaWorld Orlando (Bay News 9, 2/2/14). Read more here.
• Alan Jackson, Kid Rock to Keep SeaWorld Concert Date Other Performers Cancelled after Blackfish (CNN, 1/30/14).
- PETA Urges Teachers to Pass on Free SeaWorld Passes (San Antonio Express-News, 1/28/14).
• Wild vs. Captive Killer Whale Lifespan: Who’s Telling the Truth? (Orlando Sentinel, 1/25/14)
• Family of Trainer Killed by SeaWorld Orca Stays Neutral on Anti-Captivity Blackfish Film (National Geographic 1/22/14)
- Creators of Blackfish, The Cove Challenge SeaWorld to a Debate (The Dodo, 1/22/14).
- Head of Company that Owns SeaWorld Says Trainer Caused Own Death
- (Orlando Sentinel, 1/24/14)
- Marine Mammal Scientist, Journalist, Ex-Orca Trainer Discuss Why Captivity Must End — See Video (Huffington Post, 1/20/14).
• Alleged Sochi Olympics Plan to Display Captured Orcas Sparks Outcry (The Vancouver Sun, 1/20/14).
• Bryan Hitt of REO Speedwagon Tells Why Band Cancelled SeaWorld Concert — See Video (TMZ.com, 1/17/14).
• SeaWorld Stock Rises in Response to Blackfish Documentary Oscar Snub (The New York Times, 1/16/14).
January 15, 2014
•SeaWorld CEO Jim Atchison Does Post-Blackfish Damage-Control on CNBC — See Interview (CNBC, 1/15/14). Listen to NPR’s take on the controversy here.
- Beach Boys, Pat Benatar Cancel Concerts at SeaWorld Venue (The Tampa Tribune, 1/15/14).
- 2 Former SeaWorld Trainers Criticize Blackfish, 1 Wants Captivity to End (San Antonio Express-News, 1/15/14). Read more at Nat Geo.
January 13, 2014
• SeaWorld Says Documentary Blackfish Not Hurting Profits, Attendance — See News Reports (Orlando Sentinel, 1/13/14)
January 12, 2014
• 12-Year-Old SeaWorld Protester Is the Real Deal (New York Post, 1/12/14).
January 10, 2014
• Poll Results: SeaWorld Popularity Waning, but Not Tanking (PRNewser, mediabistro.com, 1/10/13).
January 9, 2014
• Researchers Intrigued: Is Captive Bottlenose Whistling to Unborn Calf? — See More Images (San Francisco Chronicle, 1/9/14)
• Country Singer Trace Adkins Joins Acts Canceling SeaWorld Concert — See Slideshow of Other Stars Who’ve Cancelled (Orlando Sentinel, 1/9/13). Read more here.
January 7, 2014
• SeaWorld Orlando Closes Shamu Stadium for Renovation, Offers Visitors Substitute Show — See Slideshow (Orlando Sentinel, 1/7/13).
January 6, 2014
• Petitioners Press Southwest Airlines to End Partnership with SeaWorld (San Antonio Express-News, 1/6/13). Read more here. Read and sign the petition here.
January 5, 2014
• Pakistan’s First Captive Marine Mammal Show Featuring Beluga, Dolphin from Russia Sparks Outcry (Radio Free Europe, Radio Liberty, 1/5/14). Read more here and here.
January 3, 2014
• SeaWorld Caught Trying to Throw Results of Poll Asking, “Has Blackfish Changed You Perception of SeaWorld?” (Orlando Business Journal, 1/2/14). Read SeaWorld’s response here. Read more here. See CNN news reports here.
January 2, 2014
• Forbes Publishes, Then Pulls Story Saying Anti-Captivity Doc Blackfish is Hurting SeaWorld’s Image, Stock Price (Heavy.com, 1/2/14 ). Read the Forbes article here.
January 1, 2014
• Police Guard SeaWorld Float during Rose Parade — See More Images (Seattle PI, 1/1/14). Activists Protest, 19 Arrested — See News Report (KTLA 5, 1/1/14). Read more here.